2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Intermittent starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Gicantor
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting issue

Ok I'm having a problem with my R/T dakota. I'm having a starting issue that's been getting progessively worse. First I noticed the truck was taking a little longer to "catch" while cranking. Then one day it cranked but didn't fire. Not even sputtered. I turned the keys back to "off" then cranked it again and it fired up like nothing happened. It drove fine for the next three weeks. Now it's getting worse and it will either crank but not fire, crank but take long to catch, or start no problem. Once it is running though it has never stalled on me or died. Only when starting. And here's another interesting symptom, it acts up more on humid or rainy days.

Once time it took 5 crank and finally through a p1389 low voltage at pcm from ASD. I checked for corrosion, loose wires everything is fine.

From what I read, the crank position sensor, coil, and injectors are on the asd circuit. So I'm think it's a CPS on its way out.

Opinions?

Old 07-28-2012, 02:09 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

1. is the gear shaft compleatly in park.
2.check the ignition switch. sometimes a contact will burn out.
3. check the natural safety safety switch. in the trans.
4. check the relay between the ignition sw and the starter.
like my dad said always check the easiest and cheapest things first. the list i give is just some of things that could be the trouble.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Gicantor
Rookie

Originally Posted by moe7404
1. is the gear shaft compleatly in park.
2.check the ignition switch. sometimes a contact will burn out.
3. check the natural safety safety switch. in the trans.
4. check the relay between the ignition sw and the starter.
like my dad said always check the easiest and cheapest things first. the list i give is just some of things that could be the trouble.
I understand to start with the cheap stuff first. The problem is I don't get a chance to test anything because it's so intermittent. Like to today i've been running errands, probably started the truck 15 times, and it hasn't given me a problem today.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

in that case you might do this. disconnect the battery. make up a long wire extension for you VOM, and set the VOM on OHMs. then get a helper, to hold one wire on a suspected contact, the other wire end on the other spot. then move around the connection, and see what the VOM shows. my VOM has a setting that buzzes if it has "0" OHMs. it might be good to make up a chart so you dont do work over.

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting issue