2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Signal light make me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 AM
drjgarage
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Signal light make me crazy

I have a 2003 Dakota. The drivers front signal light doesn't work. I changed all the bulbs and still nothing. The back blinks but of course it blinks fast. I changed the bulbs again and still nothing. The driving lights work just not the signal part of it. sometimes they work and then the next stop, nothing. More times than not they don't work. Also I put the emergency flashers on and the lights flash on the driver side. When I hit the remote button for the door open, all the lights flash. Anyone ever have this problem or know what to do? Is there a flasher fuse? Is this all done in the computer? Thank you!!

Last edited by drjgarage; 08-02-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 AM
drjgarage
Professional

Anyone?????

Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There are two bulbs in the front parking light housings. One for turn signals and one for parking lights. If you have not done it already, replace both bulbs. There is also a flasher relay under the dash to the left side of the steering column, it could be bad, or have an intermittent short in it causing the blinker problem. You may also have a bad wiring connector on the turn signal bulb. It could be broken or corroded, or caked up with dirt etc. You might also have a bad ground. There is a ground lug connection on the inside of each fender well near the headlight/parking light assemblies. Check those and be sure the connector ring terminal and the ground lug itself are both clean shiny bare metal. This sounds to me like a wiring or connection problem at the front turn signal bulb.

Jimmy

Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM
drjgarage
Professional

I changed all 3 bulbs. The funny thing like I said is that when I hit the door open on the remote all the lights work. Also when I use the emergency flashers, all the lights work. I will check the grounds. I did check the plug ends.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:12 AM
cpberry1
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just replaced the flasher relay in the driver's foot panel and fixed a similar problem with my '99. It was a green square relay and was about $11.00 or so at Advance. If you have a friend with a Dodge swap your relay with his and troubleshoot it that way. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Signal light make me crazy