2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

two bent push rods

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 03:58 PM
carnestruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two bent push rods

So I had a timing chain break and cam sprocket snap in half. After changing the belt found out I had to dead cylinders. #4 and number#8. I decided to take the head off myself and take it to mechanic to do the valve work but when I took the valve cover off I found two bent push rods. From the front of engine on passenger side they were #5 and #7. I am concerned now that if the push rods were bent and I mean bent that if I get the head repaired or get new one that there may be other damage to the engine that could damage a new or repaired head.

I wanted to get some thoughts on this. What causes the push rod to bend that way or what other parts of the engine may be affected or do the valve take most the impact from the push rods? I am no mechanic by any means but just trying to make a wise decision here and looking for input
\
Thanks

Old 08-07-2012, 01:14 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts

My opinion, even with the "relatively" large P-V clearance that stock motors have (compared to the 0.01" in our camaro), I would play it safe and pull both heads any time the cam and crank lose synch, because obviously the pistons and valves somehow met. I'm willing to bet you have some bent valves hiding under there. If things are good then at least you have that state of mind knowing you checked everything out.

Quick Reply: two bent push rods