2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear end help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:07 AM
hillbillyphilly18
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moe7404
to check the back lash, you need to use a travel indicator, NOT a test indicator. allso you can use a cigarette paper, and newspaper paper. if you get it set so that cigarette paper can be rolled between the teeth with out getting cut, but the newspaper paper is cut off. will be good.
please elaborate more. i new at this and what do you mean between the teeth. like sandwhiched or what? sorry for the cluelessness.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:04 AM
moe7404
Record Breaker

what you do is rotate both gears. and at the spot they start touching each other will shear paper in two if it is thicker than the clearance between the teeth. keep fingers back, cut the paper long. if the paper is not sheared then the clearance is somewhat more than the paper thickness. youll figure it out when you use a reg micrometer to find the paper thickness. a newspaper will be about .003 to .004 inchs. a cigarette paper will be .001 to .002. just go around and measure different papers. a business card will be thicker than a newspaper. the clearance on the gears is need to give a place for the lube get on the gears. and so when they get hot they dont touch metal to metal. this is very important. go by what the factory says the clearance to be. DONT try to second guess it, or invent your own.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:48 AM
hillbillyphilly18
Amateur

and this is to adjust backlash of the carrier? side to side?

Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

there is two adjustments, one is what i just said, AND the pinion depth, with the shims around pinion shaft. ALL of the bearings have to be adjustment so there is a lot pressure on the races, AND back lash where it belongs. it is NOT easy. a good book is what you need. in the chrysler factory manual have a good instructions. BUT NOTE: different models have some minor differences. but most give the basics. if it was mine i would get one out of the salvage, or from Jasper. be sure you get the same size and gear ratio.

Quick Reply: Rear end help!!