2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Body Lift Installed - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:02 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Body Lift Installed - Pics

So I know I said I'd install my lift close to a month ago, but finally had time on saturday.

I installed it with 2 good buddies but really only needed 2 people total... One was a tool monkey really hahaha. Was fun, It took about 10 hours to complete but atleast 3 or 4 were spent only on the damn steering extension. Had to grind it down and file the steering shaft but finally got it in and it's tight.

Here is the before:

And the after:

I need those gap guards now haha. Oh and these are still 31's on it for those who are curious. I probably wont get 33's for a while because these are brand new. Purchased in Dec 2011.

All in all it was good fun and a pretty easy job other than the steering. Now I do have 2 questions tho..

The rear mounting bumper brackets... Are these the right ones??? They look different from the picture and I can't get them to line up. To me they seem way too long because I only lifted the body, I didn't extend it so why are these so long?

And the 2 overload spacers (metal squares) are not on the truck, they are free moving between the bed and the frame, I wonder why? I torqued the bolts down properly and applied locktite.

I am just going to get a slightly larger pair made from a friend if I can get my hands on a block of steel... They are 1/8 to 1/16 short of an inch to fit properly.

Cheers guys!

Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice, looking good. time to hit the trails now.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great. Congrats on finally getting it done.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:03 PM
mmguy18
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cure for the gap. Went to Lowes got some rubber floor runner (black) and cut to fit (best I could) and some self tapping screws. Lot cheaper. They are the right bumper brackets. They are that long because of how they fit to the bumper. Support brackets for the bed are loose. I just tack them in place.

Oh yeah looks good.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:41 PM
BCdakotaboy
Professional

Ohhh yea baby! Now that looks good! Bumper brackets are correct, attach them to the bumper first then to the frame. I never used the steel blocks, didn't see the need. Gonna do a suspension lift next????

Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Thanks guys!

@BCDakota

Well I really haven't seen much in terms of suspension for our trucks other than blocks for the rear or a leaf shackle flip, but what about the front? You can only get so much out of the torsion bars haha. What did you do?

But I think I may add a flowmaster 40 series next, or atleast a different muffler, my stock one is finally rusting a hole.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 AM
BCdakotaboy
Professional

What I described in the pm is exactly what I did. Costs some cash tho, muffler is a better idea.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:38 PM
jpayne80
Professional

I had to remove the wobbly bar at the back bumper for the lift brackets to fit. I have no idea what the bar did for the truck, but removing it shows no difference.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Brian_
Captain

looks good! i still wonna do a bl on mine

Old 09-03-2012, 04:54 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Yeah this morning I put the rear bumper brackets on. Stupid me forgot to take the old ones off so I was trying to find a way to mount it to the old ones hahaha. Of course its the simple things you dont realize doing but then again it was the very last thing I did. Took 20 mins once I realized what I was doing wrong haha.

Overall I am very happy with the results, now I gotta get gap guards or make my own rather - i don't like being able to see between the bed and frame haha.

Quick Reply: Body Lift Installed - Pics