2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Emissions inspection: Sensors not ready

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Emissions inspection: Sensors not ready

Titles sums it up

Evap, catalyst, O2 heater, O2 sensor.

Need 3 of them to go vamoosh so I can pass.

My commute is all surface streets, no highway. Tech said to put some highway on it, I did 18-20 miles, didn't help. Said to try highway after a cold start, so I'll try that on my way to school in the morning.

Looking in the FSM, I don't see any actual numbers, but a google search says that the PCM/ECU wants 0-35, 35-45, 45-55, and 55-up speed ranges on cold and hot starts to completely evaluate the engine's efficiency.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I had the same issue. The sensors reset, or are 'not ready', after any reset of the PCM, or disconnection of your battery. You have to put on about 150 miles or more on the truck to get the sensors in a ready state. And highway miles are necessary, you might have to just take a little cruise. Just drive it as long as you can and you'll have a better chance of passing.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Well I have an august sticker. Had it checked the second week when I did oil change, failed. 23'd, failed. Today, failed. I've put 120 something miles on it since the oil change. Now I get to appease any cop that pulls me over with my paperwork that "I'm mostly legal, my PCM just doesn't agree with the inspection right now"

Quick Reply: Emissions inspection: Sensors not ready