2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota SLT Funky Electrics - First Post

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 PM
JohnnyCrash
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dakota SLT Funky Electrics - First Post

New User, First Post, Hello Dodge Forum!!

So i just bought a 2000 dak, it was a US truck imported to canada.
Body is lovely, engine seems to run great with 169k miles.

They PO has had some creative wiring done inorder to make it run,
There is a large battery disconnect switch installed in the cab, as well as a switch which now operates what used to be the n.o. contacts of the auto shutdown relay. There is a jumper wire that runs from the coil of the radiator fan relay coil to the AC clutch relay n.o. contact.

Here is where it gets interesting.

I checked the amp draw from the battery to the PDC with everything off, getting a fluctuating 0.8 - 1.5A (weird)

If I install the ASD relay and start the truck, it will not shut down when the key is turned off.

If I remove the jumper wire from the other two relays, the truck will not start with the asd relay installed or with its switch replacement turned on.

Has anyone ever come across anything like this?

Thanks for the ideas..

Cheers

EDIT: PO told me that this was all done as a result of a "short" somewhere draining the battery, and that it had been repaired.

Last edited by JohnnyCrash; 09-19-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:28 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

sounds like they had an issue with the electric fan not running with the AC so they bypassed the relay...good luck....

Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM
JohnnyCrash

Well the ac comp is fried completely, its 100% seized.
And there is a new shorter belt put on that by-passes that ac pulley altogether.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:36 AM
JohnnyCrash

So I managed to sort this mess out.
This whole jumper wire by-pass, feeding relay **** was because someone was too stupid to check fuses(this barring any unforseen gremlins) and they bypassed their way around the fused ignition switch output which powers the fuel pump relay and the auto shutdown relay.

After replacing the blown fuse inside the junction block on the drivers side in the cab, then removing the patch job and replacing the ASD relay everything operates as it should with no battery draw while the truck is off.

I have a sneeking suspicion that the root of this problem was an aftermarket day time running light module that was installed upon importing of the truck into canada. I have removed that module and heres to hoping that Im not in for a surprise.

For anyone who may also have a similar issue, when that fuse blows, I belive fuse #14 in the junction, you will get 3 error codes on the odo display, 920,921,999 these all reference a communication issue with the pcm. In my case, caused by missing voltage to engine relays.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota SLT Funky Electrics - First Post