2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New To Me 04 Dakota And I Have Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Custer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New To Me 04 Dakota And I Have Questions!

Hi all...Hope to learn some things.

I just bought a 2004 Dakota 4X4 Quad cab with the 4.7 v8. The Airbag light was on and when I dissembled it to check the clock spring it simply wasn't plugged in...Easy fix.

The cruise doesn't work but the horn does, even when turning. So looking through the engine bay for vacuum lines I found a couple of things that are stumping me...Please help.

This hose is plugged with an allen screw? The hose comes from the back of the engine (center) and runs along the injectors.

Is this vent supposed to be capped?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:57 AM
arp
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That hose looks like the front differential fill hose on my '04 4x4, although mine is routed up by the battery. I know that's what its for on my truck because I used it to top off the front diff last weekend - worked real well and eliminated a potential oil mess

Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Custer
Professional

EDIT - The hose is definitely for the PCV valve. Chilton states that the PCV valve is located at the oil filler neck. I found the other half of the valve in the neck. Why don't people spend $5 on the right part and replace?
--------------------

I found the hose you're talking about but this isn't it. I removed the throttle body to clean it and got to thinking that maybe it's for a PCV valve?

Here's a better pic without the air filter in the way.

I went and bought one and a Chiltons. No idea why the end of the new valve looks like it's supposed to plug into another hose.

Last edited by Custer; 09-27-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:09 PM
arp
Amateur

Your PCV valve was broken in half? I broke mine in half trying to get it out and replace it. You are supposed to be able to twist it counterclockwise about 1/4 turn and then pull it out, reverse for putting the new one in. But something's really funky about the setup and it took me forever (and pliers) to get the old one out. The new one took a lot of finagling to get in correctly also.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 PM
arp
Amateur

ok I just realized, maybe you don't know that the other half of your old PCV valve is probably in your oil filler neck - that's what the above post refers to. Look for it sticking straight out towards the passenger side fender.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Custer
Professional

Originally Posted by arp
ok I just realized, maybe you don't know that the other half of your old PCV valve is probably in your oil filler neck - that's what the above post refers to. Look for it sticking straight out towards the passenger side fender.
I do know that...I had done an edit and noted my findings. Everything's all back together, now I'm off to figure out why my windshield washer fluid light is on despite the reservoir being full.

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: New To Me 04 Dakota And I Have Questions!