2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Sport 2.5 - Check Gages - definitive answer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM
rickself
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 Sport 2.5 - Check Gages - definitive answer?

Been trying to read up on the Check Gages and haven't come up with too much.
But the red Check Gages did come on, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary coming home from dinner, or during my 20 minute drive home from work. It's just a bit vague on what gauge you should be checking. I ran the code check (3 turns of the key) and it came back p-done. Should I do the instrument cluster test, holding the odometer button in and make sure all the instrument cluster works?
Thanks...

Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 PM
dolittle
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when the check gauges lite comes on it is saying one or more of your gauges is reading in a danger zone. It could be temp, voltage or oil pressure. Last time mine came on was for coolant temp. A cluster ck would be a good idea.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM
rickself
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, dolittle.
I did perform a cluster ck and all went smoothly. I have had a recent radiator hose rupture, which was followed by air in the coolant system, which I have yet to burp out. Heater is blowing cold but hope that is taken care of when I get some jack stands tomorrow to burp the system (no hills to park on in central Oklahoma!!).

So from what I am reading, the Check Gages is not a message of sudden death but rather an alert that one of the gauges is reading abnormally.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:15 AM
cummingetit
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. Mine came on once along with the trans temp guage. Is it possible you have a burnt out light that may be on and you dont know it?

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Quick Reply: 2000 Sport 2.5 - Check Gages - definitive answer?