2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HELP! VIN/Body issue in MASS

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Wes Garrett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP! VIN/Body issue in MASS

Hey all, I am having a very large problem. In the process of rebuilding my 2000 Dakota, i have run into a rotted cab and firewall and for my own reasons i am not re-paneling. I have tracked down a CLEAN cab shell, and have it on order from my local LKQ. my issue is VIN tags. i am unsure what to do regarding the VIN tag. i know it is illegal to play musical VIN tags, but i have been researching, and found that (some) states issue a new VIN, i am unsure of the "Hoops of Fire" i will have to jump through.

HELP ME PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF THE DODGE GODS!!!!!!

My Dakota has 230k and is still very mechanically strong, the body just sucks a$$..

Thank you in advance.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it matters just take the one off your truck and put it on the new body if you are getting the body parts from a wrecker or junk yard my guess is that VIN. number is inactive. keep the tag somewhere safe just in case

Old 10-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Wes Garrett
Veteran

after talking to numerious body shops in the area, i have determined that i do need to call the regristry for more information. In Massachusetts they DO issue new VIN numbers, however it is a 4-5 HR inspection process peformed by the Mass. State Police. It seems like the state doesnt want that much money for this process either, $100. $50 to file the application for Ma assigned Vin, and $50 for the inspection. (Info page http://www.mass.gov/rmv/titles/assignedVIN.htm ). for more information in the process, i am currently on hold with the MassDOT RMV Division now... oh so much fun.. ha!!! once i obtain further information, i will post the information i learn from the RMV.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:40 PM
mmguy18
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds somewhat Ohio has to go through for a vehicle with a rebuilt or salvage title.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Wes Garrett
Veteran

Originally Posted by mmguy18
Sounds somewhat Ohio has to go through for a vehicle with a rebuilt or salvage title.

well 2 hours later, the rmv was no help... theres a number for the title division of the MSP.. i think i might get more information from them

and that sucks. i hear CT doesnt have this issue.. then again i could be wrong.. the guy i sold my 91 Jeep YJ to said me something about that

Old 11-01-2012, 10:04 PM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it was me i would just buy the cab for parts and install it on your chassis the vin tag is located on the dash right cause mine is if you swap dashes then your good

Quick Reply: HELP! VIN/Body issue in MASS