2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 4.7L 4wd recurring codes help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 AM
abncivilian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to update. I found that the problem with my new pump was the O ring that came with it broke when I put it together. I ripped it all apart and went and bought an O ring assortment at auto zone for about $8. I replaced it and used my vacuum bleeder to check it for leaks before putting it back on the truck (lesson learned). It was still leaking at the O ring. I pulled it apart again and this time I put a slightly larger and thicker O ring into the hole where the reservoir and pump connect and then also replaced the original one again around the reservour stem. I put it back together and held it tight while I tightened all the bolts then tested it again. It held pressure so I put it on the truck, hooked it all up, and filled it up with different power steering fluid. I used the auto zone brand that supposedly helps stop leaks and conditions gaskets or whatever. Anyway, it's been 3 days and have no codes and no power steering noise or leaks. I think I might have actually fixed that. Ha!

Now, on to the starting issue. I replaced the crankshaft sensor and checked the starter wire. Battery is only about 2 months old. But this thing is still messing up. Basically, I turn the key and it either fires right up or it does nothing. The lights, radio, and everything work. It just won't start cranking or anything. I just turn the key a couple more times until it starts. This morning was the worst it has been. It was only 34 degrees so maybe that has something to do with it. I don't know. It took about 7 or 8 attempts to get it going. After reading some other posts I'm thinking it might be the ignition switch. My questions are, does this sound like an ignition switch problem? and how difficult is it for a novice like myself to replace an ignition switch? Any info is appreciated! I wish I would've found this site sooner!

Quick Reply: 2000 4.7L 4wd recurring codes help!