2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

On/Off Road tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Robbadodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On/Off Road tire pressure

Hay y'all,

I have heard running with 10-15 PSI is great for traction off road. I need to travel 11 miles to an off road location, have traction there, and 11 miles back. I'd rather not have a pump with me, so I want to have one pressure the entire trip.

If this is just not a good idea, then I won't. However, I'd like to hear what you think about 18-24 or so PSI.

Thanks in advance,
Robb

Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The terrain and your tires decide the air pressure. Drive there on your normal air pressure and when you get there deflate them. If you are going on some rough terrain where your only driving at 10 mph most because the terrain is really rough or if your driving on something really soft like sand than 10-15 is what you need. If this is just your dirt, light mud or gravel and depending on your if your tires are A/T or off-road, you can leave them be or take them down to 20-25. The terrain and your tires will decide it for you. If you could give us more details I or someone else can give you better answers

Old 11-04-2012, 12:55 AM
BCdakotaboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly, terrain and tires will decide. I run m/t's around 38psi on pavement. In the mud or sand depending on conditions 10-15 psi, loose gravel or rocks 15-20 psi, hard packed gravel or sand 20-28. Again it depends on tire type and what surface your driving on.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran 36 psi in my bfg at's never once lowered them when off roading. You will gain a little bit more traction but its not gonna make that much difference if you get stuck. The lowering of tires is usually meant for rock crawling,very rocky surfaces or driving on a beach. Other than that it doesnt need to be done. My dakota used to be very smooth off road and even more so with a bed full of stuff. Here in pa we have it all,mud,rocks,sand,gravel,loose shale. Never once got into a problem where 4wd didnt get me out or keep my out of trouble. My dakota never let me down off road.

Quick Reply: On/Off Road tire pressure