2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Elvirb87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New owner

Hi,

I just received a White 1998 2.5l Dodge Dakota with 175k miles on the body and 80k on the engine. It was my fathers for the past 8 years. I must say the car has seen better days. The car runs and drives just fine but it could use to TLC. I like this car because it has a alot of sentimental value to me. Its been around since i was a kid.

Couple of things that i really need to fix is the Heat. Winter is knocking on the door and my intention is to drive this car during the winter. I will store my other cars in the garage. From what i have research in the past the heat core? (correct me if i am wrong) inside the dash needs to be replaced. Currently the heat has been bypassed. What can i do to get the heat going?

I have noticed Intermittent shut downs. My father things it has to do with the distributor cap not working properly.

It has a small exhaust leak at the headers, do to a screw braking.

I will defiantly have to replace some suspension parts Since it has never been replaced. Any advice would be nice.

I think that's it for now. Let me know what you guys thing.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb The 2.5L is a great little engine

The 2.5L is a great little engine it will last you many years just dont treat it like its V8 and you will be good for many years.

Does it leak if you connect the hoses to the heater is that why it was disconnected? If not why was it pulled?

There was a recall if I remember on the exaust bolts snapping off I had one snap off in the first year and they replaced it for free.

New cap rotor and plugs is a good idea and new wires if you can, get a good cap like AIRTEX / WELLS premium the cheap ones are crap.

Run a good fuel injecter cleaner through it a few times

Well thats a start

Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Elvirb87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
The 2.5L is a great little engine it will last you many years just dont treat it like its V8 and you will be good for many years.

Does it leak if you connect the hoses to the heater is that why it was disconnected? If not why was it pulled?

There was a recall if I remember on the exaust bolts snapping off I had one snap off in the first year and they replaced it for free.

New cap rotor and plugs is a good idea and new wires if you can, get a good cap like AIRTEX / WELLS premium the cheap ones are crap.

Run a good fuel injecter cleaner through it a few times

Well thats a start

do you think if i call dodge they will replace the bolts on the headers do to the recall? do you know what the recall number might be?

I will take your advice and replace the cap rotor with new plugs and wires.

I cant remember if the heater core was leaking or not. I do remember my father not having any heat in the car and thats why he just let it sit for years. After reading a lot about heater core and AC evap, i think i will go ahead and replace them. They don't look hard to do. Only thing i might have an issue with is trying to figure out how to reconnect the heater hoses back up since it was bypassed.

I think i will run some seafoam in the car and clean it going pretty good.

Also i noticed that when i drive the sterring becomes really hard to turn in the morning. Its like the Power steering pump does not work until i make a couple of turns and then it kicks in.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:51 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

do you think if i call dodge they will replace the bolts on the headers do to the recall? do you know what the recall number might be?
all you can do is call and ask

Reconnect the hoses and see what happens? First I would back flush it to get any old crap out of it then reconnect it and see what happens look for it leaking under the passenger side on to the floor if you see it leaking put it back the way it was bypassed you have a bad heater core and the dash removal is the next fix.

A few pic's for ya

Quick Reply: New owner