2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trouble Shifting To 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:49 PM
mecjac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Shifting To 3rd

Just bought a 97 Dak 3.9L from a fella on craigslist. Engine has 188k on it but trans was rebuilt 10k ago according to service records he provided. Truck test drove and ran fine for about two weeks then weather cooled down to below freezing during the night. I have noticed that after letting it sit and get cold at night, it doesn't like to shift into 3rd. Once I warm it up it shifts fine. No tac on the truck so I cant really give you a good idea of what rpm's it hitting. Also today when I was driving it around town it was good and warm but it seem to delay when going into 3rd. I drove it home let it sit for a hour and then drove it around some more, no problems at all. I have been letting my gf drive it for the past week since her car has been in and out of the shop for various reasons and she said she has not had any troubles with it at all. She said maybe its just my aggressive driving style lol. Any ideas?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 2nd generation Dakota sub-forum.

Quick Reply: Trouble Shifting To 3rd