2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

truck turns off while driving, lights flicker

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 03:24 PM
unwedsailor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck turns off while driving, lights flicker

First thing I noticed was my dash lights and headlights would flicker a little here and there, then more frequently. Then my truck started turning off while driving at random. Today it would cut out and then turn back on while.driving. the radio stays on and doesn't cut out when the engine does. Had battery tested, its good. My check engine light was on and after the engine cut out, it was off, so it seems to me like what ever is happening, its cutting power from the battery and clearing the codes? Anyways, I've checked the terminals, they are clean. I replaced the positive connector. Any idea what could cause this? I did replace the radio in Feb or march. But didn't have any problems till November.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What year is your truck so I can move this to the correct place?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 PM
unwedsailor

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
What year is your truck so I can move this to the correct place?
1998 sport

Old 11-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 2nd generation Dakota sub-forum.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 PM
gnelson49
Professional

Originally Posted by unwedsailor
First thing I noticed was my dash lights and headlights would flicker a little here and there, then more frequently. Then my truck started turning off while driving at random. Today it would cut out and then turn back on while.driving. the radio stays on and doesn't cut out when the engine does. Had battery tested, its good. My check engine light was on and after the engine cut out, it was off, so it seems to me like what ever is happening, its cutting power from the battery and clearing the codes? Anyways, I've checked the terminals, they are clean. I replaced the positive connector. Any idea what could cause this? I did replace the radio in Feb or march. But didn't have any problems till November.
Do your lights dim? Manual or Automatic? In gear or out? Does your voltage gauge and oil pressure drop when this happens before it dies? What about the idle, is it steady?

Quick Reply: truck turns off while driving, lights flicker