2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

42RE/46RE compatiability? (Alt title: future is set)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:27 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
Default 42RE/46RE compatiability? (Alt title: future is set)

Getting a lightly used (15K highway miles) Auburn locker to put in my truck to compliment the 4.10's. Getting stocker 15x7 steelies for the back, and putting Mickey Thompson 3019 tires on them (eventually, I'll use import street tires in the meantime), methanol injection, dedicated trans cooler, SCT tuned, clutch fan delete/Mk8 mod. Basically, I'm going to be as far as I can go on the stock V6.

That's all good and dandy. For now.

Long term, 2-3 years (or when the V6 shows signs of dying), I want to go a slightly different direction. I want to get a 360 from a dakota (for the proper oil pan), tear it down, and put it together as a cheap 408 stroker sleeper (keeping stock profile cam or close to it, keeping the beer keg intake, stock exhaust, ect), and badge the truck as a stock 318. Lift the hood, looks like a stock 318. Open it up, says otherwise.

I'll transfer over the methanol injection system, cam choice will dictate the rockers, more or less do the traditional swap.

The question is the transmission. I know you can put 46RE internals in the 42RE casing, but does the 42 bolt up to the V8 bolt pattern? If not, what changes electrically between the 42RE and 46RE? I see conflicting posts that the 42 will/won't bolt up or that you can/can't put 46 guts in a 42 case.

The PCM is a whole different deal, I'm gonna talk to Sean about it. Methinks have B&G flash it, and tune from Sean. -shrug- a mopar PCM is almost same price as a B&G flash.

Last edited by magnethead; 11-28-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 42RE/46RE compatiability? (Alt title: future is set)