2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Just bought my first dodge truck looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM
skyshadow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Save your "performance mod" money. You'll need it for repairs. A Dakota with that many miles... its only a matter of time before things start to break. My clutch and rear end went right around 150k miles so be prepared for those issues. If you take it to a shop to fix them, be prepared to shell out $800-$1200 for each of those repairs. PS pumps are known to go, mine went at ~130k, again, at a shop, you're looking at $3-400. 4x4 Dakotas eat ball joints for breakfast, do it yourself and the parts are $2-300, get it done at a shop, at least $800.

Not trying to scare you, but want you to be aware of what you're getting with a Dakota that has that many miles.
Not at all! Thank you for the good advice. The clutch on mine seems pretty good so I'm figuring it was done before so I count that out at one thing I have to worry about. But something did start to happen today that worried me a little. While driving the truck started bucking back and forth. It happened several times in various gears so I'm pretty sure its not the transmission. Any idea of what it could be? (Also I'm going with auto lite wires cause they are well reviewed and real cheap)

Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

I would check your joints on your front drive shaft. I made that mistake and it ended up ripping apart my transfer case. If I had taken the time to check them regularly then it would have saved me about $1300 for a transfer case and to have the drive shaft rebuilt.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Not at all! Thank you for the good advice. The clutch on mine seems pretty good so I'm figuring it was done before so I count that out at one thing I have to worry about. But something did start to happen today that worried me a little. While driving the truck started bucking back and forth. It happened several times in various gears so I'm pretty sure its not the transmission. Any idea of what it could be? (Also I'm going with auto lite wires cause they are well reviewed and real cheap)
My clutch actually felt really good at 150k miles. It started grinding and in a matter of 100 miles, it was gone. Again, not saying yours will go tomorrow or anything, just keep it in the back of your mind that these things can/will happen.

Was it bucking while you had your foot on the gas? Off the gas? Just coasting and started to buck? Fuel filter/pump issues can sometimes lead to bucking depending on how it is occurring.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 AM
skyshadow

Originally Posted by bpark8824
My clutch actually felt really good at 150k miles. It started grinding and in a matter of 100 miles, it was gone. Again, not saying yours will go tomorrow or anything, just keep it in the back of your mind that these things can/will happen.

Was it bucking while you had your foot on the gas? Off the gas? Just coasting and started to buck? Fuel filter/pump issues can sometimes lead to bucking depending on how it is occurring.
It only seems to buck when I'm accelerating not really when I'm just coasting. It also seems to happen more when I really stomp it and accelerate fast. But sometimes it doesn't do it at all....

Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Chattering as you let the clutch out taking off from a stop is a good indication of clutch problems my Dak clutch went out quietly though at the 100K mark I forget the particulars but I knew it was time I was getting slippage. I have a tendency to over use my clutch so I have been told just the way I drive I guess and the 2.5 engine needs a faster acceleration from stops to prevent the dreaded take off Bog down Hiccup from happening.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:07 PM
skyshadow

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Chattering as you let the clutch out taking off from a stop is a good indication of clutch problems my Dak clutch went out quietly though at the 100K mark I forget the particulars but I knew it was time I was getting slippage. I have a tendency to over use my clutch so I have been told just the way I drive I guess and the 2.5 engine needs a faster acceleration from stops to prevent the dreaded take off Bog down Hiccup from happening.
Its not just from when I'm taking off from a stop. I could be in third or forth gear and then push the pedal down and then the bucking will start.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:52 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

It could be your trans is it an auto or stick but this could be your PCM going out on you the bucking is one of the things that show up as it goes bad thats what my Dak did bucking just plain weird running but at times ok a day or two.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM
skyshadow

It could be your trans is it an auto or stick but this could be your PCM going out on you the bucking is one of the things that show up as it goes bad thats what my Dak did bucking just plain weird running but at times ok a day or two.
Its a 5 speed manual. I know better than to get an automatic:-)

Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Then I would get it tuned up and see how it runs check for any codes

If the PCM is going out it will run very weird especially the bucking and hiccupping then it will be great for a day or a week. To me it was like some demon possessed monster was inside my Dakota

You can get R/R PCM’s around $240 that run just as good as the $1K new OEM ones from MOPAR/DODGE

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 12-14-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:12 PM
skyshadow

Then I would get it tuned up and see how it runs check for any codes

If the PCM is going out it will run very weird especially the bucking and hiccupping then it will be great for a day or a week. To me it was like some demon possessed monster was inside my Dakota

You can get R/R PCM’s around $240 that run just as good as the $1K new OEM ones from MOPAR/DODGE
Alright I'll look into it, I have driven my truck for about 50 miles so far and I haven't gotten a single CEL, should I be seeing one if its the PCM? To be completely honest I know almost nothing about dodge or trucks for that matter, don't even know what the PCM is or what it does lol. I have an OBD2 scanner, I'm gonna go scan it tomorrow even though there's no CEL.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first dodge truck looking for advice