2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:59 PM
dakotamod21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine trouble

Today I drove about 130 miles for indianapolis to northwest indiana in my dakota. When I left I heard a slight ticking sound and didnt think much of it. When I got to my destination that ticking sound/clunking sound got louder. It's nothing it the belt system or pulleys. One of my buddies who rebuilds engine told me to check for an exhaust leak with the manifolds or remove the valve covers and check the push rods and find out of a lifer collapsed. The truck still has all the power and drives fine.
What should I do and where should I start before I head back to indy in a week.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:27 PM
cjantczak
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, i know the thread is old but the ticking very well could the exhaust manifold leaking, check for broken studs. My truck will tick a little from them whenever i hit a big puddle of water or if i really get on it because i have a couple that are broke.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:43 AM
dakotamod21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We actually found out that the torque converter bolts backed out and were hitting parts of the trans housing. But since moving home the truck as become a project and I'm saving up to get body work done and a hemi swap in the near future.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:33 PM
cjantczak
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glade you got er figured out, Hemi swap sounds awesome! That would be an awesome thread to follow!

Quick Reply: Engine trouble