2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport looses power

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Jeff_Erton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport looses power

Hi Guys, I'm not sure if the title is accurate but here goes.

I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport RWD V6 3.9L Magnum Automatic with about 210 000 Kilometers on it.

As far as I know everything was working fine, however a few days ago I was pulling a ~2000lb trailer about 350 or so Kilometers. There were some hilly sections of the highway so the engine was putting out some rev's but never went much above 3000RPM. I made it to my destination just fine, however about 2 hours after arriving I left to drive around town and do some Christmas shopping and while I was turning into a parking lot my truck started making a clunking noise and I couldn't go much over 20 Kph and couldn't get the engine to rev up. I pulled into the parking lot and checked under the hood. Everything looked fine. I turned off the truck and turned it back on and everything seemed ok until about 5 minutes later when it happened again at slow speed. I turned it off again and turned it back on and drove another 20 minutes or so before parking it for the night.

The next morning I drove for about 10 minutes and it happend again. I put some fuel system cleaner and moisture remover in the tank and filled up with gas. I drove for over an hour in town trying to make the problem happen again however everything seemed OK (driving slow, fast, stopping, parking, restarting the vehicle, etc). After being parked for about an hour I let the truck idle for about 10 minutes and reversed out of the driveway. As I was reversing the noise started again and when I put it in drive it had very little power. I pulled over, turned off the truck and turned it back on and everything was back to normal. I drove it for about 350Km on the highway to get back home with no problems. I haven't driven it since however I've let it idle in the driveway and tried reversing a little without being able to replicate the problem.

My check engine light is not coming on, my code reader doesn't indicate any codes and my fluids are all good. It seems to happen only at slower speeds.

Does anyone know what might cause this? The only unusual noise I am getting from under the hood is a rattle in my PCV valve for a few seconds after revving the engine.

If any more info will help I'm happy to provide it!

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport looses power