2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

need radiator help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:24 PM
dr350jja
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need radiator help

I have a 1997 Dakota, with the 318 V-8. It has the original radiator with the plastic tanks. Is there a way to remove (fully take out) the radiator drain plug. It appears to be leaking coolant. It only comes out so far, and then it binds, like it can not come out completely. I would think that the drain plug s/b able to be replaced separately, without having to replace the complete radiator, just because the plug is leaking. Anyone have experience with this? I couldn't get a hold of any radiator shops today, since it's Sunday.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:54 PM
emesnarf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last I time dropped the coolant on my Dakota I was able to pull the drain plug out completely. It popped out all the way because it was stuck then suddenly let loose past the point it normally stops at to drain the coolant. Maybe I was lucky and I didn't break anything because mine went back in like nothing ever happened and still stops where it should to guide the coolant down the drain hose. I can't remember what seals the the plug 100% but know removal is possible. I seem to remember an O ring... The parts dealer may have a listing for a seal, but if you can bring them the old seal and the plug you should be able to match one up pretty easy. Be careful if you try to give it a yank it was just a plastic barb holding it in the tank. A seal will surely be cheaper than a whole radiator if you find one. I am not sure you live but up in Canada its cold right now.. I recommend trying this in a warm place cold and plastic parts don't mix well. Good luck

Quick Reply: need radiator help