2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Where to put methanol tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Where to put methanol tank

I was crawling around under my truck, and I realized something: ICan't put my methanol tank where I wanted to.

My idea was to put it under the bed, outside the frame rail, where I can access it by removing the inner fender (which I'll hinge/dzeus on). But that spot is right next to the exhaust, and if I got T-boned, it's spray methanol all over the exhaust. bad juju.

There's not enough room under the driver side, because of the filler/vent hoses.

I don't want to put it in the left rear corner (opposite exh exit) because it'll be vulnerable there.

So where can I put it? I need to place the methanol tank and trans cooler both under the bed, but I'm not sure how without being a fire hazard in an accident.

My only other thought was to have a metal cage made around the tank, but that wouldn't do much but add weight.

I know having it inside the frame rails is ideal, but I'm not sure how I would fill the tank.

Looking at these:

2.5 Gal, 12.75" x 7.75" x 7.75"

5 gal, 15" x 8.5" x 10.25"

I'm using a 1 GPH nozzle now, but may go to dual 1 GPH nozzles down the road. So the 2.5 would be plenty if I can make it work.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Wes Garrett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if ur not using the spare tire carrier, stuff it there, like where i wanna mount my airtank for the OBA system.. that seems to be a logical spot

Old 01-19-2013, 12:19 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes Garrett
well if ur not using the spare tire carrier, stuff it there, like where i wanna mount my airtank for the OBA system.. that seems to be a logical spot
Nope, I've needed that spare too many times. Else I'd put the 8 gal tank there.

Quick Reply: Where to put methanol tank