2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bed Extender Security DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Custer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bed Extender Security DIY

I recently bought an Amp Research bed extender from a 2nd hand shop for $25 without hardware. I ordered the brackets and hold down straps for another $25. After modifying it to fit my truck, I realized how easy it would be for someone to steal and obtain brackets for their truck. My tailgate doesn't lock and installing a lock is about $40 and another key to add to the key chain. Not to mention the bracket's Philips head sheet metal screws were a little to wimpy for my taste.

The truck box chewed up some space but I wanted one and scored it for $50.

Last edited by Custer; 03-03-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Missing images.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Custer
Professional

The objective:
Have a metal spacer and security screw blocking the removal of the bed extender.

The problem:
What does it thread into? If you remove the taillight you gain access to the inside of the bed. Now welding a nut to the inside of the truck bed would have been easier and faster. I even have a welder but thought a no weld fabrication would benefit others better.

The new hardware...2 security screws and lock nuts per bracket, 1 spacer, 1 threaded "U" clip and a different sized/different type of security screw. The thief better have a bit set on him if he wants this thing.

I had these big washers that I've been waiting to use for something.

I had to drill the center of the washer a bit larger for the "U" clip to fit...Plus the 3 holes corresponding to the bracket. Tip...Make these holes big to allow proper alignment at final installation.

This is what it looks like assembled...Notice the small spacers between the large washer and bracket. The "U" clip doesn't sit flush against the bracket, if the washer isn't parallel to the bracket the "U" clip hole won't line up properly and you'll ruin the threads.

You might have to shave some of the washer off depending on where your bracket is mounted on your truck. For mine the inside of the bed was tight up against one side.

I drilled 2 holes that will hold the bracket to the truck just large enough to accommodate the new hardware sizes I chose. The larger hole is for the bigger stronger screw used to hold the spacer in place.

Here's a crappy shot of the inside of the taillight area of the bed. I swapped the 2 small spacers for nuts. Now the bracket is mounted independently of the large washer still to be installed.

Install the large washer over the remaining threads...Make sure to line up the holes before tightening to ensure the anti theft spacer threads properly.

That's it...Now stop being so paranoid!

Last edited by Custer; 03-21-2013 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Made the images smaller.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 AM
vtlogger
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!!!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty damn smart. And the end result looks super clean.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 AM
Custer
Professional

Originally Posted by Tom A
Pretty damn smart. And the end result looks super clean.
Thanks Tom.
That means a lot coming from you...Your modz rock!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Vladek
Veteran

good pics and explanation on how to also. that looks pretty good.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Custer
Thanks Tom.
That means a lot coming from you...Your modz rock!
Aww... thanks.

Seriously, though, it looks like you did exactly what the factory should have done.

Quick Reply: Bed Extender Security DIY