2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

hid light kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 AM
buddahboy357
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hid light kits

thinking about getting a set not sure what kits to get as far as what bulbs . 9007 kits are they all for high and low beams

Old 03-17-2013, 11:03 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been running vvme kits for almost 5 years now. I ran them for 4 years in my dakota. The bulb type will depend on if you have regular housings or not. If your housings are yellowed you should replace them. As far as people telling you that you need to run a hid projector its really up to you. It will create a tighter beam. All depends where you live to and if the cops are very picky. I've yet to run an hid projector in any of my trucks. As long as you aim the housings down a little you wont have a problem.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:41 AM
daksnbeers
Professional

I'd suggest projectors. That way you wont see me giving you the bird as you drive by me. If there is anything I hate the most while driving on the road It's people with hid's in reflector housings. It's not to prevent form being pulled over for it or just for looks or even if you want them. Just be courtious to others on the road and all this is coming from a 19 yr old by the way. If more teens were like me on the road my insurance rates would be way down.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daksnbeers
I'd suggest projectors. That way you wont see me giving you the bird as you drive by me. If there is anything I hate the most while driving on the road It's people with hid's in reflector housings. It's not to prevent form being pulled over for it or just for looks or even if you want them. Just be courtious to others on the road and all this is coming from a 19 yr old by the way. If more teens were like me on the road my insurance rates would be way down.
+1

On Halloween driving on residential streets there are kids everywhere so you drive slow. Coming the opposite direction is a car with HIDS in a reflector housing and I couldn't see a damn thing. Sure he can see all the kids but all I see is blinding lights.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 AM
mmguy18
Veteran

Aftermarket HID's tend to be bright but depends what you buy. 6000 isn't bad. when you get into the 8000 and above is where it can be blinding to other drivers.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:40 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

5-6,000k is the whitest and brightest you can go. As you move up or down past those numbers you loose effectiveness/brightness. Not to mention that the blue colors strain your eyes more. I run 6,000k and im happy with them. No one seems to be bothered by my lights. I even sit higher than a dakota with a 2.5in level and no one seems to mind it. My dad actually gets flashed more in his challenger than I do in my truck and his car comes with factory hid projectors.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get projectors. They're meant for HID's. Regular refelctors aren't meant for HID's and a lot of the light is wasted and like others have said, if not done perfectly, is a real distraction/danger to other people or drivers. Do it right if you're going to do it.

Quick Reply: hid light kits