2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Where can I find a 16 tooth reluctor wheel for a 4.7V8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 PM
blhfla
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The solution

Originally Posted by dbilik
http://www.airram.com/product.php?ca...productid=1482

Nick, the owner, already tested these out and worked it out with his machinist. Will probably be easier for you.

Little confused though, you mention crank in your OP, but the eBay kit linked it the timing kit. Both need to match to make it work, maybe it is just the wording. In any event, here is the tone ring on the crank.
Holy @^%& batman! This is EXACTLY what I need. Yeah that kit didn't appear to have a tone ring, reluctor wheel, whatever the heck you want to call it. So I sent an email to them about it and I'm still waiting to hear back. But even then, it is a whole timing kit at nearly $400!!!! I only need the stupid wheel. NOW I can get just that. And they have both 32 and 16 tooth wheels. I am going to attach it to the Cummins harmonic balancer and rig a bracket for the crank sensor to align with and read it. You don't need a cam wheel (but you can make one, I know a guy who did). All you need to do is hook up a relay from the crank sensor (signal) and the starter (power) and send that to the PCM cam sensor lead. The PCM drives the tach, and needs the cam signal only when starting, so just pass it from the crank sensor to the cam sensor during starting and it works. I am going to order tomorrow. Thanks!!!!

Last edited by blhfla; 04-09-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

Originally Posted by dbilik
http://www.airram.com/product.php?ca...productid=1482

Nick, the owner, already tested these out and worked it out with his machinist. Will probably be easier for you.

Little confused though, you mention crank in your OP, but the eBay kit linked it the timing kit. Both need to match to make it work, maybe it is just the wording. In any event, here is the tone ring on the crank.
that is a much better item and price. i only did a quick search for the 16 tooth reluctor wheel and that is what i came up with.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

Originally Posted by blhfla
Holy cow sl2racer, I just noticed you are in Port Richey. My mechanic's shop is (and therefore the transformation will take place) in Tarpon Springs! It is off 19-A about a mile from where it splits off 19 (just past Anclotte). You are most welcome to stop in and survey the process when it starts (may be a while though). Last year we did a Jeep Liberty diesel swap but that was not so complex - put a 2.8 CRD from a 2005 Liberty into a 2002 Liberty gasser. This one will certainly be more fun for sure. I already have the 4bt and an NV4500, now I just need the other bits and pieces which are mostly sourced except for that pesky reluctor wheel. And after that I plan to replace the bed with an aluminum dump body with fold down sides and loading winch. Like I said should be loads of fun (and money).

I'll probably start a build thread on 4btswaps.com once it gets underway, probably just after the summer. Let me know if you are interested at all. BTW, I bought this truck at auction without keys for $1500, not running. Took it to his shop and within 2 hours it was alive. Have been driving it ever since. If you need a GOOD mechanic and FABULOUS fabricator this is the guy. You should see what we did with my 97 VW Passat TDI - can't keep tires more than a year.
i know the area fairly well. so yea would love to check it out sometime.

Quick Reply: Where can I find a 16 tooth reluctor wheel for a 4.7V8?