2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota RT 5.9 - ABS and Red Brake Light, speedo not working, p done

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:58 PM
jeff_rt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
Sensor is on the top passenger side of the rear diff and looks like this. Get a new one, replace the old one and ALL your problems will magically disappear.

I'm glad you copied the image. I'll print it and take it with me to be sure.

Thanks a bunch for posting the picture.

Jeff

Old 05-10-2013, 03:37 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeff_rt
I'm glad you copied the image. I'll print it and take it with me to be sure.

Thanks a bunch for posting the picture.

Jeff
Sometimes a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:06 AM
jeff_rt
Amateur

I installed the part yesterday. It was a lot harder to replace than what it seemed for other folks. I had to get a pocket mirror to see what was going on. The outer screw also would not easily go back on. I had to put it on backward and screw it on very hard to get the threads to straighten out. Then I removed it and put it on the correct way with the flange side down. The old part came off in two pieces, so it was indeed bad.
Anyway, long and short of it is that it was the correct part. Shifting is back to normal, the speedometer works, and all messages are gone except for the check engine light which I understand should go out after a few trips.
Thanks everybody for your help. I just wanted to say that this forum has saved me lots of money over the past seven or eight years where this truck is concerned. I wish that something didn't go wrong with it every 6 to 8 months. It's a hard decision whether to keep the truck and invest several thousand dollars in it to update a lot of these old parts. As I understand it, there's actually four speed censors; the one near the transmission and two more near the wheels and those are more expensive. I feel like it's probably just a matter of time for those. As much as I love this truck, I might have to let her go just to keep my sanity. Two more years til my wife's car is paid off, then my turn.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job and glad to hear it solved your problems. As for the CEL, disconnect the negative battery cable for 1-2 minutes to reset the PCM and the reconnect. The check engine light will go off.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:38 AM
jeff_rt
Amateur

I'll do that if it doesn't go out on its own as others have reported. Thanks again !

Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota RT 5.9 - ABS and Red Brake Light, speedo not working, p done