2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dodge Dakota EVS 2 Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:27 AM
tmonte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 Dodge Dakota EVS 2 Alarm

Hey guys, my truck is all of the sudden not starting, a while back the alarm freaked out because i unplugged the battery and i learned how to reset the module (its hanging under the steering colum) and it always started turn key and go. yesterday i took it out twice i went to start it again in the afternoon it wouldnt start at all, i thought it was the starter i tapped on it and had someone turn the key didnt start, then i tried reseting the module (had to unplug it turn the key on the on position than plug it in and turn the key at the same time) and it worked, since that last time starting it, it will not start again, now everytime i try resetting the module the alarm just goes off and the truck will not start, and when it doesnt go off, like actually resets the truck still wont start. any help guys? i need to get to work tommorow or im kinda screwed. i already unplugged the battery, i unpluged the module completley and then unplugged the battery and plugged it back in, nothing seems to be working right now...

Old 05-12-2013, 01:24 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am not familiar with your brand of alarm but it sounds to me like either the alarm module is bad or there is a loose or disconnected wire some where. If you can not find the problem now but need the truck for work what I would do is remove the alarm module, maybe leave its wire harness connected but zip-tie it up under the dash out of the way of the pedals.

Then check the wiring at the ignition switch main harness, if the alarm had a starter kill the installer probably interrupted the starter wire there. There should be a wire at the ignition harness that will be cut in two. That is so the starter kill relay whether external or an on-board relay in the alarm module would disable the starter if a thief tried to hot-wire the truck. The starter wire in the truck's ignition harness will either be yellow or dark blue with a yellow stripe. Cut the alarm wires going to the starter wire and splice the starter wire back together. The truck should start and run normally and you can either get the shop that installed the alarm to look at it later on, or maybe you can install a replacement alarm module yourself or you can reinstall your original alarm module and leave it with the starter kill permanently disconnected.

My own personal opinion on starter kills is they are ineffective (if a thief really wants your truck, he will take it, whether he hot wires it or puts it on a flatbed wrecker or some other kind of tow truck) and starter kill interfaces will sooner or later cause these kind of problems. Starter kills cause a lot more trouble than they are worth.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Dakota EVS 2 Alarm