2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HELP Brake Click

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:13 PM
MFToes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Brake Click

Everytime i step on the brakes the front left gives off a single click, loudness does not increase with speed or pressure. i checked the calipers and slide pins and it all looks normal and i cant get anything to move while the tire is off. Any Ideas

Old 05-12-2013, 09:30 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My truck had that exact same problem after I had put about 12,000 miles on a set of Wearever Silver pads from Advance. I found no problems with the wheel/brakes/tire/suspension either so I cleaned and re-greased the slide pins and slide surfaces and applied more anti-squeal compound on the metal backing plates. That solved the click problem for a few days, then it was right back again same as before. So I bought a new set of Duralast pads from Auto Zone. I compared the two pads and the metal plates on the Duralast were just a bit larger and a bit thicker. I put those on and they fit tighter in the calipers and have had no clicking noise trouble since then. That was maybe 30,000 miles and 2 years ago.

Jimmy

Old 05-16-2013, 04:48 PM
MFToes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default These are new pads

They are ceramic and clicked from the momnet they went on, i am curious if its the spring that holds them against the caliper body, or if the piston is releasing late and slapping into the rotor, it makes no sense that pads would make a loud click without a cause.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe the retaining spring is connected incorrect or it broke off this will allow the pad to be lose and may slap around

do your brakes look like these?

Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried new anti-rattle springs too, they did not help. For whatever reason, the Duralast pads have a heavier, thicker and somewhat larger metal backing plate that fit much tighter in the caliper. The click noise problem has not come back at all, not even once since I installed the new Duralast pads.

Jimmy

Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Yea it could be lose fitting pads my pads were hard to snap in very strong springs a pain to get on.

Make sure the slider pins are lubed or they could stick I was surprised I changed out my ball joints on one side last year and installed new pins and lubed them well but a year later I decided to do my other side ball joints and at the same time pull off the other side springs and install new spring isolators and found my slider pins had corroded and were dry as a bone so both side calipers were sticking and didn't move very well at all.

Not sure what happened with that so new pins again and better lube so far so good.

Quick Reply: HELP Brake Click