2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Advice on 1998 Dakota V8

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM
arodnom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking I could take those fender flares off and take off the lift kit. Assuming the lift kit is junk?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 PM
arodnom

I went and drove it. It does ride good and shifts fine. Has an oil leak and rust bubbling under both doors. You're right in saying it was hit, almost has a brand new front end. He did not know why the ac stopped working. Also the interior ceiling cloth was hanging down. I'm planning to look a more later this week.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM
gnelson49
Professional

Originally Posted by arodnom
I went and drove it. It does ride good and shifts fine. Has an oil leak and rust bubbling under both doors. You're right in saying it was hit, almost has a brand new front end. He did not know why the ac stopped working. Also the interior ceiling cloth was hanging down. I'm planning to look a more later this week.
If the front end is almost brand new and you can tell the condenser was hit then I would guess it has been wrecked and he had the body cleaned up and maybe some front end parts replaced. I would straight up ask about the condenser being hit and how the rest of the front end is in good shape. He should disclose any accidents he has been in with the truck. Is the steering pretty tight? How about the tires, can you tell any excessive wear on the inside or outside of the front tires?? Check the rears as well, he could have had them rotated. Good way to tell if it needs an alignment or has been wrecked if one tire is wearing incorrectly. See if you can look behind the fan shroud to tell if the radiator has been hit as well. Or look underneath and check out the bottom if you can see around the skidplate.

Definitely +1 on the scanner, see if you can test drive it to an Autozone or O'Reillys and have them run their scanner on it. Look underneath where the motor and transmission connect, see if there is any oil leakage or buildup. Make sure you test the 4wd if it has that as well.

Quick Reply: Advice on 1998 Dakota V8