2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

E-Fan Swap HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Raydaj
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I definitely do, and I know the heat in Texas is going to be a bit more brutal than CT, which is why I put it down as a reference, Shanker30 doesn't have his location down which is why I want to make sure he understands the climate I'm operating in before he tries running without the e-fan and it turns out he is in Texas or Arizona or some such climate and cooks his engine. But the added benefit of running without the clutch fan (and I believe anyone can do this during the winter) is that you gain a decent amount of power and lose a noticeable amount of noise.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:39 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree; esp during winter; not only helps to warm up quicker with out the mechanical fan; but also you don't have the drag.. it's noticable with an e-fan vs the mech fan.. but your only really freeing up 2-3 HP so most say.. realistically what is actually happening is allowing your RPM to slightly increase a tad quicker to upper RPM where your power really kicks in.

I can overcome it with increase of throttle.. fine.. I'm currently running the mech fan as stated before for certain reasons. honestly the difference of power gain between the e-fan and the mech fan are hardly noticeable in my case.

What i like most about the e-fan is the ability to better cool the AC system (unless its brutally hot) - Most people in the southern states are going to have the same problem with the e-fan setup as someone in Texas due to humidity along the Gulf Coast at some point during summer What i like to tell people is carry the mech fan assembled with the clutch with you as you experiment just in case you get into a position you need to put it back on in a hurry.

Even though the Jeep fan can keep the truck normal op temps overall; its just a comfort thing when sitting in a parking lot traffic during 100+ degree weather.. I dont like my truck sitting any where near 210.. I'm sure if i built a good solid shroud it would probably do the trick. I'm still kicking around ideas. I want the mech fan and electric fan.. for "HD Cooling" >> but even as wishy washy if i can build a good shroud so the fan can pull its 100% full potential I'm going to do that.. for now till i really make up my mind.. ill be running the mech fan till winter. Just because I'll be pulling my boat alot.

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 07-24-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Raydaj
Amateur

I definitely cannot blame you there, but I keep seeing the 210 temp range and am starting to get a bit worried. My gauge is reading just below the center line mark (which is normal), but I just got one of the OBD II Bluetooth readers and it's telling me I'm running just shy of 210 F (around 204-208). My only guess is that the OBD II sensor is coming from the thermistor which if I remember correctly is located near the upper, return radiator hose while the 180* thermostat is located on the lower, supply radiator hose. Does this logic seem sound or should I be worried?

Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

ON your model yes; I think the 5.2L's or rather older setup are more accurate being the Stat is right besides where the stat sensor is located right on the intake block rather than the stat being down the line on the hose. But really the difference of that location does not really matter heat transfers to cold.. maybe a slight delay but not that big of one in regards to the system cooling.

180 stat is only opening sooner (Jump start on cooling) means nothing unless the temps outside are low; other wise your going to most likely run at normal cooling capacity giving the outside temp and the amount of air flow you have to cool down the rad.

Personally i wish i had a newer model truck that came factory with the e-fan and clutch.. AC can be a dog on hot days.. with no E-fan there are trade off's on both sides unless the setup is done just right for all around cooling ability. In Texas during Summer is alot harder for a good working E-fan all around to a point of my personal preference than it would be for someone up north.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Raydaj
Amateur

Alright that makes sense, thanks for the input man. I'll be able to drive with more piece of mind now.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:46 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yeah man; I would not worry about it too much; yall just had a 'heat wave' come through the NE; higher than normal temps; I would suspect with the higher temps; humidity and AC running; the truck to run warmer.. Now if you were here in texas your would be SOL with just the stock E-fan during some of our hot days stuck in traffic.. In your area you should be good though.

I mean if another heat wave comes through and yall are seeing temps higher than normal you can always carry your fan/clutch assembled ready to throw back on in a hurry if you needed too; if you get too worried-- if you have room to stick it and be out of the way; like a tool box or something.

Other wise i would not worry too much about it.. Just keep up with yearly cooling system flushes.. to keep the build up down.. and really inspect everything make sure everything is in tip top shape. That would be my opinion.

I would not want to run continuously at 210 but then again once in a while is not going to hurt anything and not really anything worry too much about so long as you dont go over in the most extreme condition and the system can maintain that temp.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Actually even up north unless you got a 4-Cl or maybee 6-cyl i really would not use the HHR fan; no way no how; others might have different oppinion but based off what i have seen/experienced i would rather go wtih the Jeep recall fan over the HHR fan no matter where you live.

Here is a thread i did on the review of it.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...oing-this.html

Quick Reply: E-Fan Swap HELP