2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transfer Case Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:07 PM
angelicolar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Gasket Question

I have a 97 Dakota 5.2L with a NV231HD... I recently noticed it was leaking excessively after driving for a while, so i bought a new slip yoke and extension housing and replaced those, still is leaking. So I am now thinking its the seal between the smaller piece of the case, the one that connects the main body to the rear extension housing.. I wanna pop it off and just clean it up and throw some RTV sealer in there, is there anything to worry about falling out when i pull it apart ? Also any other ideas on what may be causing this leak? I drive about 100 miles round trip for work per day and i have to add about a quart every day to the T case.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by angelicolar
I have a 97 Dakota 5.2L with a NV231HD... I recently noticed it was leaking excessively after driving for a while, so i bought a new slip yoke and extension housing and replaced those, still is leaking. So I am now thinking its the seal between the smaller piece of the case, the one that connects the main body to the rear extension housing.. I wanna pop it off and just clean it up and throw some RTV sealer in there, is there anything to worry about falling out when i pull it apart ? Also any other ideas on what may be causing this leak? I drive about 100 miles round trip for work per day and i have to add about a quart every day to the T case.
I had the same issue... I searched and searched for a gasket and could never find one.. then i was told that they came from the factory without one.. so i put some black RTV around it and it sealed up great. There is nothing in there to fall down at you except maybe a little ATF+4. I will say have a friend or a transmission jack on hand to help you raise and lower the t-case because its a beotch to do by yourself!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Stuff105
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was gunna try and do it right while its on the truck... I have a 3" body lift so i can access all the bolts all around which should work nicely

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Gasket Question