2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Moparforce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Clutch

Hi

Recently picked up an 02 sport with the 5 speed and 4.7L v8. I think it may be time for a new clutch soon, because the shifting is occasionally stiff into 1st and reverse , mostly on cold start. I have done some research on the web, and there was a recommendation to change a lever and plunger to a longer type which may solve the problem. Otherwise, If I go for a clutch kit, are there heavy duty clutches out there for this setup? Any good places online to order the parts ? Thanks.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:38 AM
kdh97602
Professional
Default RE: 02 Clutch

CENTERFORCE
CENTERFORCE
CENTERFORCE
CENTERFORCE

also LOOK at the flywheel before they put it back on the vehicle (if you're taking it somewhere). if doing it yourself, make sure the clutch alignment tool is LONG, otherwise its hard to line it all up.

most aftermarket internet shops cary them, just look on centerforce.com for a list.

P.S. stiff in 1st and reverse: ??????? check the linkages

Old 10-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Moparforce

Sharp site - thanks !

I am new to hydraulic clutches - is there an adjustment rod for that setup too like the old manual clutches had? Maybe all it needs right now is an adjustment? 1st seems to be the one always showing some stiffness getting into , I will take a peek at the linkages weather permitting - no garage here.

Old 11-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Moparforce

Well, Finally got under there for a looksee. I think there was 1 rally thin hydraulic line attached to a housing on the tranny casing, but either there is no adjustment, or too much stuff in the way to see it. Anyone know if there is such a thing to adjust the clutch free play and gain? Right now, she dont grab until really near at the top before I let go of the pedal. In my days of driving the A-833 4 speed in my 72 challenger, I remember I could adjust this with a threaded nut, but with hydraulic clutches I am a total noobie. This is a 5 speed tranny....and I think I saw an inspection plate with a really thin slot in it where you could look in with a flashlight maybe and see how much meat is on the clutch? I like the centerforce HD clutch, and plan to drop one in, but want to make sure its time to go that route.

Quick Reply: 02 Clutch