2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

mounting CB/HAM radio in cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013 | 09:33 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran

i pulled the back of my glove box and mounted it in the glove box. you can open it and see everything. hand unit can be fed threw the ashtray with little mod to top metal plate. and can be hidden when you out of the truck by closing both. the ashtray is big enough to whole my echo mic it will hold a stock one easy. also cooling it no an issue because of the fresh air vent for the heating and A/c runs right there. a few little holes is all you need. my linior is also mounted in mine do to no airbag i had the room. and that gets really hot and i cool it with about 10 holes in the air box. just a suggestion. hit me up if you wanna know more. about how exactly i did the install ill send ya picture.

Old 11-23-2013 | 09:35 PM
magnethead
|
Legend

Originally Posted by atthewmartin114
i pulled the back of my glove box and mounted it in the glove box. you can open it and see everything. hand unit can be fed threw the ashtray with little mod to top metal plate. and can be hidden when you out of the truck by closing both. the ashtray is big enough to whole my echo mic it will hold a stock one easy. also cooling it no an issue because of the fresh air vent for the heating and A/c runs right there. a few little holes is all you need. my linior is also mounted in mine do to no airbag i had the room. and that gets really hot and i cool it with about 10 holes in the air box. just a suggestion. hit me up if you wanna know more. about how exactly i did the install ill send ya picture.
are you talking about HAM or CB?

My glovebox is jam full of all my legal documentation (DMV/Inspection/FCC/ARRL/RACES/ARES/Emergency Response/ect) and my ashtray holds my trans temp gauge. But that might work for most people.

Old 11-25-2013 | 05:39 PM
magnethead
|
Legend

When i was testing the radio, I had the engine off.

With engine on, I was getting a really, really bad ignition EMI.

Keep in mind I have an MSD box velcro'd directly to the PDC lid. Therefore, anything going to the battery from the back, goes by the MSD box and coil wires.

So I took the HAM radio wires, and ran them through the fender, instead of running with everything else under the hood hinge bracket. I also took some tin foil, and wrapped it around the power and ground wires together, then zip-tied it tight.

The noise improved a good bit, so I went one step further, and got a pair of ferrite beads from Mouser, and put 1 wrap of power in one bead, and one wrap of ground in the other. So now both wired are shielded (partially) around the MSD box, and have ferrite beads right before going into the cab.

The channel has been quiet, so I haven't got to test the system with beads yet.

Old 11-26-2013 | 06:56 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

just thought i would throw out some pis of what i did.

RadioMount2.jpg

CB_Dash5-1.jpg

RadioMount1-1.jpg

Old 11-26-2013 | 10:38 PM
magnethead
|
Legend

Simple, not quite elegant (nothing some trim wouldn't help), but functional. I like it. Just not quite as stealth as is needed in the deep city.

Old 11-27-2013 | 04:05 AM
Shortride
Rookie

Originally Posted by magnethead
done. Need to weather-strip it and make a lid.

Transmitter RF power generally does not like 90 degree connectors on the coax. Have you checked the output with a meter with that setup?

Old 11-27-2013 | 03:59 PM
magnethead
|
Legend

Originally Posted by Shortride

Transmitter RF power generally does not like 90 degree connectors on the coax. Have you checked the output with a meter with that setup?
No I haven't. I know the SWR on the feedline/antenna is 1.2:1, not counting for the elbows.

Quick Reply: mounting CB/HAM radio in cab