2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Oil Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:18 PM
krusinskimax
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry about not being more clear. I have had the truck since august. Well since the oil level is back to normal now, I guess I didn't lose any. Just weird that the dipstick was dry after the trip but then letting it sit on a level surface over night and starting it again and now have normal oil levels. I'll just replace the sending unit and oil (see how much comes out of it) and go from there.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:19 PM
krusinskimax
Rookie

Thanks for the help guys, I was really confused when the dipstick was dry.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:34 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

It was dry because all the oil was in the top of the motor, where it's needed, and not in the pan, where it sits there. That said, if I knew that the oil pump was losing prime while running, I'd be adding an extra half or full quart. I think that is your problem, with all the oil on top of the motor, the pump is getting sucked dry.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 PM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 318 and 360 is well known to leak oil internally past the belly pan of the intake. I have to do that very job on my 95. Get the sending unit from dodge. You'll save your self some hassle of having to redo it again.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:46 AM
krusinskimax
Rookie

well I replaced the oil sending unit...was fine till tonight. I noticed a little shakiness in the engine, like a little light thump every once and a while when the truck was at idle(happened Tuesday and Wednesday). When it happened Tuesday it was only for a little bit. When it happened Wednesday it was for a little longer. Then at a stop light my oil pressure gauge went down to zero then came back up. I guess the problem has started again. Could the thump be a misfire on one or more of the spark plugs? I did notice that the pcv valve wasn't sealed tightly but would that cause these problems? The saying is true when it rains it pours

Old 01-16-2014, 01:08 AM
krusinskimax
Rookie

would replacing the pcv valve and crankcase breather tube grommet help for idle. Its not like a crazy knock or anything just a little shaky. My 1999 Dakota rt, only has 43k miles. even though it is 15 years old could they have gone bad and cause a little rough idle

Quick Reply: Oil Problems