2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need some input guys 02 dakota v6

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:30 AM
liam5340
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some input guys 02 dakota v6

Ok I have that god awful belt squeal that started happening when I had the defrost on, and it usually only would happen when I was parked or at a stop sign/light. Now it happens more often and I unplugged ac compressor but it still does it. So you think it's a bearing in my alternator? Or maybe my tensioner isn't right ? Also can I buy a rebuild kit for alternator? Are the bearings pressed in?
Next problem is I have this pulsating vibration that I can feel only when I am driving and have my foot on gas pedal, lets just say I'm cruising normal speed. Just changed both front wheel bearings thinking that was issue, had my tires mounted and balanced beginning of winter, ??? Not dire what it could be
Next is same problem I have had since I bought it three years ago that I just never cared about, when I kind of floor it, it has no get up. If I like double or triple pump the pedal and floor it then it revs real high and I got more get up?? What is the fix for this? Any help is appreciated. I'm selling the truck and want it to be good to go for next owner

Old 02-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few issues you have. I know I replaced my tensioner some time ago because of belt noise. I knew it was going, pretty easy to check once you take off the belt. Feel the spring tension, it should return the pulley fully, if not, replace it. Bearings are replaceable in almost all electric motors. Sleeve bearings are not. I would however address the belt thingy first...your likely noise problem.
About the pulsating and power problem....a little more information is needed. Is the pulsing engine or mechanical? If you suspect a tire and can hear it coming from the front or rear, switch the tires. Sometime when tires wear improperly they make noise. You haven't stated how many miles are on the truck but did you replace the fuel filter and air filter lately?

Old 02-01-2014, 08:43 AM
liam5340
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truck has 115,000 miles, the pulsating is hard to explain but when I'm driving avid have my foot on the pedal just holding a constant speed. Can be 30,40,50,60 mph doesn't matter speed, it is when I'm putting pressure on pedal I can feel a pulsating vibration in the whole truck through steering wheel, in my arm through center arm rest I haven't changed fuel filter but I have changed air filter. Basically with the non power issue It has no ***** a lot of time but if I put thd pedal to the floor sometimes it revs high and has power like its supposed to. Most of the time I have to real fast pump the pedal a couple times to get the same rev

Old 02-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is the motor when it's idling, does it have any kind of shake to it? I would definitely check the balancer since the vibration is felt at all those speeds. This would have an effect on the power issue as well. Not ruling out a trans issue but I would check the other first.

Quick Reply: Need some input guys 02 dakota v6