2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2003 QC Headliner Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Mules50
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 QC Headliner Replacment

Looking to replace my sagging headliner. I asked around some local shops and they all wanted $200-$300, which I thought was outrageous. And they wouldn't do custom colors either, only stock colors.

I am looking to replace my headliner with this fabric. RealTree AP Camo

I had a few questions to anyone who has replaced a headliner before.

1) Do I need to put new foam in? I know part of the process is to remove the old foam, but do I need to replace the foam or can I just glue the fabric right onto the board?

2) Does it matter what type of fabric I use? The fabric above is a twill. I like that material because I feel like it would be more rugged.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help and I plan on making a project post with pictures once I actually start.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I recently replaced my headliner with one from the junkyard, so I didn't have to re-cover mine. However, I believe the fabric comes with the foam already integrated.

To get the headliner in/out without breaking it. I removed ALL the seats and also the door panel from the passenger side rear door, which is the one you will go through.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Mules50

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I recently replaced my headliner with one from the junkyard, so I didn't have to re-cover mine. However, I believe the fabric comes with the foam already integrated.

To get the headliner in/out without breaking it. I removed ALL the seats and also the door panel from the passenger side rear door, which is the one you will go through.
The fabric I am looking at isn't actually for Headliners. That is what I was wondering.

And from what I have read, the hardest part of this project is getting the headliner out of the vehicle.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Raydaj
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mules50
The fabric I am looking at isn't actually for Headliners. That is what I was wondering.

And from what I have read, the hardest part of this project is getting the headliner out of the vehicle.
Yeah it's a bit of a pain to get out. I took mine out last summer with the plan to replace it, I only just purchased the required materials for it (fabric, roller, and adhesive all off of Amazon for about $80 total). So within the next week or so I hope to replace it, but I do also recommend removing the seat to help get it out of there.

Quick Reply: 2003 QC Headliner Replacment