2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Water Pump Install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:55 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not just cut off the old hoses and replace them too? No offense intended but your hoses don't look to be in the best shape, are they original? While you are at it replace the bypass hose too if your truck has one. New hoses and clamps do not cost much and can be bought at Napa or any good parts store. It will be cheap insurance plus your Dad will know you did the whole job right the first time so you won't have to doi it over again later just to replace hoses..

Jimmy

Old 02-27-2014, 04:10 PM
cjantczak
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

01SilverCC has a good point about the hoses, thats what i did with my truck, plus the bypass hose on mine was ugly and i was driving to Tennessee the next day. changing that little sucker on the side of the road would not be fun.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:38 PM
probably_a_wizard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried the using the nail and it didn't work for me..I'm guessing cause of the flange (am i right?) on the pump side.

If I were to just replace the hose (hence cutting it) what would I have to remove to replace the thing and use normal clamps instead of these hard to deal with ones?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM
probably_a_wizard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
Why not just cut off the old hoses and replace them too? No offense intended but your hoses don't look to be in the best shape, are they original? While you are at it replace the bypass hose too if your truck has one. New hoses and clamps do not cost much and can be bought at Napa or any good parts store. It will be cheap insurance plus your Dad will know you did the whole job right the first time so you won't have to doi it over again later just to replace hoses..

Jimmy
No offense is taken, I'm learning as I go so I'll replace this hose now and then replace the other ones once I get some more money saved up since I can't drive it now anyway..just trying to get it running to where I can drive it

Edit: And I bought it off my neighbor for 650 cause he was just wanting to get rid of it, so I'm going to turn it into a lil project truck. That was the only thing wrong with for all as I know, so we just pushed it out of his driveway and rolled it down into ours.

Last edited by probably_a_wizard; 02-27-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:59 PM
cjantczak
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by probably_a_wizard
Tried the using the nail and it didn't work for me..I'm guessing cause of the flange (am i right?) on the pump side.
its possible

Originally Posted by probably_a_wizard
If I were to just replace the hose (hence cutting it) what would I have to remove to replace the thing and use normal clamps instead of these hard to deal with ones?
to replace the bypass hose you would remove the a/c compressor and alternator which is pretty easy, then remove the aluminum bracket that they sit on. and for the a/c compressor you dont have to disconnect the lines from it so you dont lose your freon. just set it out of the way and be careful not to kink the lines.

Last edited by cjantczak; 02-27-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Install?