2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Overdrive solenoid.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Dhambley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well let me explain better. you get in, start the truck. idles fine. then you hear a "tap tap tap tap" as if it was tapping with the engine. i thought at first a bearing. but my engine is running fine, no power loss, from under the hood you dont hear it. but you walk along the side of the truck you hear it. sounds like it's the bottom of the engine or front of the tranny. as for it disapearing once i give it throttle. it depends how much throttle. alot, yes. very little no.

so pull the inspection plate and check the bolts?

Old 03-28-2014, 07:26 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes pull the plate on have a look, it's only a few bolts.

If you have a 2WD it's even less bolts.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Dhambley

Yeah it's 2wd. i gotta wait for all this rain to quit before i go crawling around. Just a thought, if the bolts on the tc are loose, could that be the result of having no OD? like.. maybe not getting enough pressure to lock up? also the other day when i was pokin' around underneath my truck. on the driver side of the transmission, there is a plugin near the tail. the wires are abit tarnished and split. im going to get that fixed asap but is that to the OD unit? here is a photo. the plugin at the very back i believe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
xlbgi1.jpg (5.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 158 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhambley
Yeah it's 2wd. i gotta wait for all this rain to quit before i go crawling around. Just a thought, if the bolts on the tc are loose, could that be the result of having no OD? like.. maybe not getting enough pressure to lock up? also the other day when i was pokin' around underneath my truck. on the driver side of the transmission, there is a plugin near the tail. the wires are abit tarnished and split. im going to get that fixed asap but is that to the OD unit? here is a photo. the plugin at the very back i believe.
yep, that's the OD unit. I can be unbolted from the transmission without removing the trans from the truck, totally separate unit from the transmission itself.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:01 PM
Dhambley

Awsome. alright, how do i go about fixing the plug, anything special to it? it apears the wires were pulled (or stripped) back to be exposed.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:01 PM
KillerKilgore
Professional

Try cleaning off wires/rubber/plastic to remove grease oil road grime and then coat with liquid tape.

Just a thought.

My 3.9 "taps" like a lifter but I found the exhaust manifold bolts broken on cylinder 3. Would like to get it fixed but afraid of breaking off more bolts trying to extract the already broken ones.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Dhambley

what happens if i unscrew the OD unit? fluid aint going to poor out will it? lol

Old 04-22-2014, 11:37 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 158 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhambley
what happens if i unscrew the OD unit? fluid aint going to poor out will it? lol
I didnn't see this post but i would assume so. All I know is that the FSM says it can be removed with the trans still in the truck.

Quick Reply: Overdrive solenoid.