2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

runs rough first thing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:03 PM
Mickey_Moose
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy runs rough first thing.

Hi,

When it rains it pours it seems. Had another issue pop up with my Dakota (2003 Quad SLT, 4.7l auto).

Actually it has been doing this off and on for some time and I was just thinking it as bad gas (or something) but it has been getting worse and more 'steady'.

Basically it only does this after it has been sitting over night (or along that lines). It starts ok and seems to idle fine, the problem comes in at either the first and/or second stop after leaving home. Back out of the driveway, come to a stop and put into drive - while stopped, the engine with sputter. Will also do this when I stop at the end of the street (no gear change). After that it all seems ok. No codes or pending codes are showing on my scanner.

First I was thinking bad gas or fuel pump going out - how long do these usually last? I know on my 1st gen Dakota they would seem to drop out around 120k miles - have about 100k on my 2nd gen now. Recently it stalled at an intersection after driving for at least 20 minutes (sputtered and stalled). Started up right away and was good after that.

But now I am not really convinced that it is a fuel or pump issue as it would normally be good the rest of the 'day'. Even thinking maybe sediment in the tank, as it only does this first thing after many hours of sitting. And other thoughts? Maybe a sticking TCC solenoid on the transmission (if they have one)?

Right now just throwing wet paper towel at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:24 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Talking

We have the same truck, give or take a few miles.

The fact that it does it only after a cold start leads me to think it's not the fp. How are your plugs? I'd also clean the intake and IAC valve.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:36 PM
Robbadodge
Veteran

Originally Posted by Mickey_Moose
It starts ok and seems to idle fine, the problem comes in at either the first and/or second stop after leaving home. Back out of the driveway, come to a stop and put into drive - while stopped, the engine with sputter. Will also do this when I stop at the end of the street (no gear change). After that it all seems ok. No codes or pending codes are showing on my scanner.
I'm inclined to believe it's an idle issue... engine is not warm yet and idle is too low.
Air filter last replaced when?
Last time plugs were replaced?
Trans fluid replaced how long ago?
MAP sensor ever been replaced?
Last time Throttle Body was cleaned?

I ask these questions as it may spark information from others to brainstorm with (if the answer isn't actually in the questions).

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on the IAC. I have a 3.9 but still had a very similar problem not long ago. Engine would not idle when it was started cold after sitting overnight. I tried a few things and threw some parts at it, replaced plugs, wires, IAT and TPS. I tried out an old OEM IAC that came off my V8 throttle body and have not had the problem even once since then. Clean the throttle body and clean the IAC and see how it goes. Put a little 3 in 1 oil on the IAC shaft. If the shaft on the IAC is extended all the way out when you remove it that could be a sign the IAC is definitely bad.

Jimmy

Old 03-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Mickey_Moose

Originally Posted by Robbadodge
I'm inclined to believe it's an idle issue... engine is not warm yet and idle is too low.
Air filter last replaced when?
Last time plugs were replaced?
Trans fluid replaced how long ago?
MAP sensor ever been replaced?
Last time Throttle Body was cleaned?

I ask these questions as it may spark information from others to brainstorm with (if the answer isn't actually in the questions).

Good luck!
To answer a few questions:

air filter is good - replaced about 6 months ago
plugs - well that is a good question
Trans fluid - replaced about 30k ago (have to look it up for a exact mileage but it would be that at the max.
MAP - still could be original as far as I know.
Throttle body/intake/IAC - cleaned when this issue first started happening, but maybe due for another? Don't recall the mileage or time frame, would have to look it up (would guess a couple years). edit: thinking about it, perhaps it is all it needs as I don't recall if this actually solved the problem and it just came back. Like I said it was fairly intermittent before.

Like I mentioned, it did do it (stalled actually) recently when the engine was warm (city driving about 20mins+).

Thanks...

Last edited by Mickey_Moose; 03-31-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:59 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

When I purchased my truck, the plugs were so bad, I was surprised it still ran. The central electrodes (pintle) were worn right down to nothing and the ground electrodes could cut you because they had worn down to sharp edges. At it's thickest point, I could pass a gap tool thru without touching.

Once I changed the plugs, mileage + performance increased and cold starts didn't cause the engine to lope.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Mickey_Moose

Just to update - looks like there may be an issue with the TPS. Changed out and so far it *seems* better, but will have to give it several days since it has been intermittent.

Quick Reply: runs rough first thing.