2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Window stuck up Year 2000 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 05:18 PM
jsaklas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window stuck up Year 2000 Dakota

This winter I wanted to lower my driver's side manual window on my 2000 Dakota. I heard a "crack" (the window was obviously frozen) and now my window is stuck up. I lived with this during the winter, but now I need to fix it.

I took off the door panel (and lost the damn horseshoe shaped pin holding the handle on) and discovered the window mechanism is inside the window. I have no idea what to do next. Can someone help?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:51 PM
cs42778
Rookie

The "horseshoe" clip can probably be bought at most parts store for a couple bucks for a package of 5 or more. My guess is you either broke the regulator or the bond that holds the glass to the regulator. I once had to re-glue that bond on my old Ram. I just, asked the guy at the part store what would work best, preferably something water resistant. Then after gluing, I rolled up the window tightly and let it cure for a week before opening. If it's the regulator, I believe it's a matter of a few bolts, although I've never worked on a manual one for a dodge. My guess is probably the regulator, though. My dakota's glass is, bolted in, not glued. A good way to find out is, with the door panel taken off, when you crank the handle, does the part that, attaches to the glass move up and down. If not, regulator is the culprit.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was frozen its likely the glass just fell off of the rail.

Happened to me about a year ago, there are 2 clips that grab onto the jagged portion of the glass and one refused to catch. I think I ended up gluing it down too.

As for that C clip you lost, go to a wrecker and grab one.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:52 AM
jsaklas
Default Follow up

cs....... and sx....

Thanks for the replies. In my original email I said I found that the window mechanism was inside the window - obviously I meant inside the door. Cranking the handle does not move the window. Perhaps the problem is what ever piece of plastic that connects the handle to the regulator is what is broken? If so, I'm not sure how to get the window down. If I can force it down, will I then have access to the regulator? I would love to have a picture of the regulator/handle/window assembly - that would be most useful. Do you have such a photo or tell me where such a photo exits? (I do not have a shop manual.)

Old 05-10-2014, 04:55 AM
T-Ram
Rookie

Have someone hold the glass before u release the front window guide bolts that should give u some wiggle room to free and lower the glass-use a mirror to look up at it from inside the open door panel-not sure how a mechanical system would jam in the upward position-roller is prob off track and jammed-Hold the Glass when trying to loosen it-

Quick Reply: Window stuck up Year 2000 Dakota