2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000, V6 3.9L, Sport - Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:28 AM
copland1389
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000, V6 3.9L, Sport - Exhaust Help

I really need to replace parts of my exhaust system. The y-pipe and muffler to be exact. I got a quote from a local shop and it totaled $2300.00.

I simply do not have that kind of money, and I'm hoping with the little mechanical aptitude I have that I'll be able to do it myself.

Questions:

The mechanic stated the bolts that fasten the y-pipe to the manifold are actually studs (they are welded to manifold, and therefore would cost a #%$@! to drill out). I thought that they are simply bolts so I could cut them in half and knock them out easily. Can anyone say either way for sure?

Also can anyone verify that the part #BOS 0793115 from (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Catalytic-Converter-Direct-Fit-NON-C-A-R-B-Compliant/_/R-BOS0793115_0432833419) is actually what I need? Do I need to purchase any other hardware? The mechanic estimated $990.00 for a "Direct Fit Converter" (part only, labor not included) the one above is only $620.00 at NAPA, what am I missing?

Last I'm only planning to have this truck another couple years, can anyone suggest cheaper parts that will do the job? Keep in mind I live in CO and need to do annual emission tests.

Thank you for any and all advice.

-Ian

Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum Ian...

I can't say one way or the other on the exhaust manifold fasteners, I always thought they were bolts that screwed into the block but I have luckily never had to remove mine so I may be wrong.

I can say if it were my truck I would find another mechanic and see if you get the same estimate price. 2300 seems really high to me. The y pipe and pre-cats for my Dakota only cost $380.00 shipped. I bought the part from Rock Auto and was going to do the work myself but I paid a good garage to do it instead. It only cost me $191.00 labor and was money well spent. No way I could have done that myself.

Check around for better prices on both the parts and labor. Also check under your truck and take pictures so you can buy the correct exhaust parts. I found there are several different exhaust systems on Dakotas. Rockauto.com had the best price and good quality parts from Eastern Catalytic which is made in Pennsylvania.

Jimmy

Old 05-07-2014, 10:01 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 3.9 uses all bolts.

I just swapped motors in my truck last august and there is 3 or 4 bolts fastening the manifold to the block which were extremely rusty.

Then there were 2 bolts on each cat fastening them to the manifold. These weren't as rusty but I replaced these.

Take a pic if you can. I can't see them being studs.

Quick Reply: 2000, V6 3.9L, Sport - Exhaust Help