2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

brake caliper removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:45 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I just checked mine and it is a T40. I also checked one of my old OEM slide pins, I kept my originals when I replaced them and they are a T45. I have one of those oversize thread replacement slide pins on one side that is a T45 too but the other 3 are T40. Maybe you could return the one you bought at Sears and they might let you try a few sizes in the parking lot till you get the one you need. Or you could buy a whole set of Torx sockets at Harbor Freight for about what one socket costs at Sears:

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...set-67914.html

The Pittsburgh tools at HF have really come a long way in quality and that set should have what you need for the slide pins and most any other Torx head bolt. HF may even have the Allen socket for your truck too. They sell a set of Allen sockets for $7.99 each, metric or standard. HF is great for good quality hand tools you might need for certain infrequent repairs but you may not have much other need for.

Jimmy

Old 05-13-2014, 09:40 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
I wish hat had been the case i had went to sears hardware and go the T40 and it didnt even bite.. I do have Premium everything on this SLT though.. including the 10" drums.. everything seems to be more $$ for this truck as result.. lol
Parts for these trucks are cheap. Go fix a heavy duty truck then you will know what the term "expensive parts" means lol I dread the day my bearing hub assembly goes out on my truck at 350.00 a piece

Old 05-14-2014, 12:40 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Parts for these trucks are cheap. Go fix a heavy duty truck then you will know what the term "expensive parts" means lol I dread the day my bearing hub assembly goes out on my truck at 350.00 a piece
I hear ya.. was comparing to the non premium version

Old 05-15-2014, 07:29 PM
ayoung101
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, i'm sick of these brake caliper bolts. now i looked at the other side of the vehicle, and it clearly has allen head bolts, which are also stripped. i'm going to be replacing them with hex head when i get them out. can anyone tell me what size bolts they are (thread and length)? i'll pick up some bolts from work tomorrow and just swap them out once and for all.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:04 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ayoung101
alright, i'm sick of these brake caliper bolts. now i looked at the other side of the vehicle, and it clearly has allen head bolts, which are also stripped. i'm going to be replacing them with hex head when i get them out. can anyone tell me what size bolts they are (thread and length)? i'll pick up some bolts from work tomorrow and just swap them out once and for all.
You'd have to find that out for yourself what size the threads/length of the pin are.

Like I said earlier, the pins I pulled off a 97 where a larger diameter thread than the ones on my 02. And I think my 02 used allen heads while the 97 used torx.

Just a heads up.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Napa was able to look mine up when I got new ones. The p.o had over sized ones in it tho so I had to heli coil it.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:56 PM
mikez104
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the threads came out when I removed mine. Had to go with the oversized ones and it was much easier than trying to find and replace new steering knuckles.

Quick Reply: brake caliper removal