2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Intermittent rear main seal leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:55 AM
BigAlRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent rear main seal leak?

Hi, I haven't been on here in awhile, I am looking for some feedback on my problem. I actually have a Durango, I know my rear main seal has been leaking slowly, but on a recent road trip, as I got off the highway, I had tons of smoke under the rig, the rear main was POURING oil out. I limped it to my destination, when I got there, the leak had all but stopped (no, it wasn't out of oil). Just curious if anyone else has experienced this. I have read the rear main seal isn't terrible to do (except on these having to drop the front axle), so I am not going to bother with any "magic in a bottle". Thanks for reading, Happy Father's Day

Old 06-15-2014, 09:16 PM
emesnarf

Is your PCV valve or system plugged up or pinched? That would build pressure and leak out anywhere it could until the pressure dropped when the engine cooled off or the pressure escaped. Hoping for the cheep fix for you. Good luck

Old 06-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by emesnarf
Is your PCV valve or system plugged up or pinched? That would build pressure and leak out anywhere it could until the pressure dropped when the engine cooled off or the pressure escaped. Hoping for the cheep fix for you. Good luck

Makes sense to me. If you do replace the rear main seal, be sure to get a new pan gasket, too. While the neoprene gasket can be reused, it's just another vector for leaks, and you do have to cut it to get the rear bearing cap out.

I'd clean it all up, and evaluate the problem, but I think you're gonna have some quality time lying on your back under your Durango. I've done it on a 4wd 5.2, it took me a coupla days in the carport. Not for the faint of heart, and I think it took a week for my muscles to recover.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:12 AM
BigAlRam

Ok, thanks guys, luckily it's not my DD, I am going to replace the pcv valve, and see what happens. I have had the front axle out before, that wasn't too bad of a job, so we'll see how it goes

Quick Reply: Intermittent rear main seal leak?