2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 dakota 4cyl CEL code p0505

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Schmalzy88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked out the plug thoroughly and it's ok. Tightened the bolts just past snug so not too tight. Didn't want to keep throwing parts at it so I took it in to get a second opinion.
The mechanic did a full diag and confirmed no vacuum leaks and no damage to the wiring or harness'. IAC valve is ok, everything is grounded. The problem is with the PCM not sending signal to the IAC so t is stuck in the open position (also explains why it is not closing the new one when replaced - excessive rpm's).
So with the worst case scenario confirmed, do you have any suggestion on ordering a PCM from a reputable source? The places I see online want a vin and EXACT milage. Being that I am still driving the truck, providing an exact mileage is pointless as the mileage by the time I get it will be different.
I appreciate any advice.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Interesting. And he made sure none of the 3 wires are damaged? It's somewhat rare for PCM to just lose one function. Normally they just go kaput. Mine died a fast death in a bay at Sonic.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

www.autocomputerexchange.com down in South Florida is said to be very good and quick to make things right if there are any problems when you order from them. They stock a PCM for 2.5 Dakota, $199.00 shipped:

https://www.autocomputerexchange.com...type=200&price

I don't know if they need your mileage but they will need the VIN for programming. It might be worth a call or email to see what they can do to help you out.

Jimmy

Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
www.autocomputerexchange.com down in South Florida is said to be very good and quick to make things right if there are any problems when you order from them. They stock a PCM for 2.5 Dakota, $199.00 shipped:

https://www.autocomputerexchange.com...type=200&price

I don't know if they need your mileage but they will need the VIN for programming. It might be worth a call or email to see what they can do to help you out.

Jimmy
thats who I used. they overnighted me one for free because they didn't have a core to fix and had to hunt one down. Took 3 days for them to get one, then a weekend, and they shipped that monday and I had the truck running tuesday.

Quick Reply: 2000 dakota 4cyl CEL code p0505