2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Question regarding High Temp Exhaust Manifold rust stopper products

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:58 PM
harkdodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding High Temp Exhaust Manifold rust stopper products

I discovered after buying this truck that rusted and broken exhaust manifold bolts are a very common problem on my 2001 Dodge Dakota.

I have inspected the bolt heads and although they do have some surface rust none are broken yet and I have no evidence of exhaust manifold leaks.

I know there are High Temp manifold paints out there and I'm wondering if there is a rattle can product that is both a rust stopper and coating that I can spray on these bolt heads in order to protect them from further rusting.

I found a product by Eastwood that has a two foot flexible applicator hose on it that would make reaching these bolt heads easier; that is if this product will work directly on top of surface rust without it being required that the surface rust to be removed first. I have an email in with Eastwood asking about this.

This is supposedly a rust stopper and protective product that is good for up to 2000-F.

I'm thinking that this treatment may stop the rusting process of these manifold bolts possibly saving me some severe future headaches.

I've considered removing and replacing these bolts, but from what I read this can cause even more headaches.

Does anyone out there know of high temp products that can be used directly over the top of surface rust that is both a rust stopper and inhibitor?

Thanks!

Harkdodge

Old 10-25-2014, 01:45 AM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The broken bolts are not usually caused by rust. It is from aluminum heads and iron exhaust manifold expanding and shrinking at different rates and stretching the bolts until they break. Or so I'm told.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:18 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Its not only aluminum heads this happens too cast iron heads also have this problem its an exhaust problem period.

In an aluminum head using a grade 8 bolt is not a good idea as what will happen is the bolt being the strongest part it will just pull out of the head as the head is soft aluminum.

The problem is usually someone cranked the bolts or nuts down too much not allowing the bolt to flex with the heat put on it.

Tightening exhaust nuts should always be done to the manufactures specifications aluminum heads have a set way to do them cast heads have more leeway being the same material and a stronger material.

Quick Reply: Question regarding High Temp Exhaust Manifold rust stopper products