DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Dakota Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech-67/)
-   -   front calipers wearing on steering knuckle (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-tech/380925-front-calipers-wearing-on-steering-knuckle.html)

kwasiak 10-27-2014 03:04 PM

front calipers wearing on steering knuckle

Is anyone else having this problem? I have a '02 Dak with 4.7L 4wd. My Front disc brakes are wearing out my steering knuckle (where calipers pad ride on knuckle). pads are wearing off the metal and making the caliper sit lower on the disk. spring clip is starting to hit the hub on the rotor. Dealer says I need to replace the knuckle $$$. has anyone come up with a better fix!

00DakDan 10-27-2014 03:14 PM

Any chance you can post a picture?

If you do need a new knuckle, check a boneyard.

kwasiak 10-27-2014 03:22 PM

won't be able to get pic until the weekend, it is basically were the caliper pads slide on the knuckle.

magnethead 10-27-2014 05:03 PM

the slide pins?

kwasiak 10-27-2014 05:32 PM

nope, Slide pins are fine, pins are in the back of the caliper.(engine side of caliper)

00DakDan 10-27-2014 05:50 PM

I think I know what you mean, the edge of the pad rides on a machined lip and the pad is wearing it down.

Are you sure it is not the pads? Maybe the brand you are using just isn't machined properly - it happens.

kwasiak 10-27-2014 05:56 PM

yes the machined surface is wearing unevenly, I just had the pads off, they are fine. you can see the indents in the machined surface.

00DakDan 10-27-2014 06:33 PM

I've seen vehicles that have a spring type clip that goes over that machined surface for the pads to ride on, not a Dakota, but maybe someone makes something similar.

dbilik 10-29-2014 03:45 PM

I'm having the same problem. I swapped out a knuckle with a used one, new caliper, new pads, new rotors. Same thing, so I was under warranty and assumed I may have another bad caliper. Did brakes, rotors, and pads a second time, same thing. I am out there working on it today. The outside of the caliper, side closest to the wheel, dives down and in towards the center of the hub, and the brake pads wear at an angle. It also causes my inner pad to wear faster. Eventually it dives so much that the screw on the retainer clip just barely scrapes the hub portion of the rotor. It actually warped my rotors which is why I am guessing it is caused by the caliper not being allowed to release.

I haven't figured it out, but I am thinking the caliper isn't being allowed to release the pressure inside, and I am replacing the rubber hoses up front to see if it resolves the issue. Problem is, I won't know it isn't fixed until I lose another set of pads and rotors.

I have read that the rubber hoses deteriorate over time and may break down. And actually introduce rubber pieces into the caliper itself. I am planning to open it up and see if there is rubber in there. Debating if I swap the seals myself (which I have) or go with rebuilt calipers again. Have a hard time thinking I have had three bad calipers in a row on the left front.

98DAKAZ 10-31-2014 05:26 AM

Can you post any pictures or its all bolted back together?

I'm curious I know your disk brakes are different than my 98 disk brakes but I'm Interested in this problem?