2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

front calipers wearing on steering knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:04 PM
kwasiak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front calipers wearing on steering knuckle

Is anyone else having this problem? I have a '02 Dak with 4.7L 4wd. My Front disc brakes are wearing out my steering knuckle (where calipers pad ride on knuckle). pads are wearing off the metal and making the caliper sit lower on the disk. spring clip is starting to hit the hub on the rotor. Dealer says I need to replace the knuckle $$$. has anyone come up with a better fix!

Old 10-27-2014, 03:14 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Any chance you can post a picture?

If you do need a new knuckle, check a boneyard.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:22 PM
kwasiak

won't be able to get pic until the weekend, it is basically were the caliper pads slide on the knuckle.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:03 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

the slide pins?

Old 10-27-2014, 05:32 PM
kwasiak

nope, Slide pins are fine, pins are in the back of the caliper.(engine side of caliper)

Old 10-27-2014, 05:50 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I think I know what you mean, the edge of the pad rides on a machined lip and the pad is wearing it down.

Are you sure it is not the pads? Maybe the brand you are using just isn't machined properly - it happens.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:56 PM
kwasiak

yes the machined surface is wearing unevenly, I just had the pads off, they are fine. you can see the indents in the machined surface.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:33 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I've seen vehicles that have a spring type clip that goes over that machined surface for the pads to ride on, not a Dakota, but maybe someone makes something similar.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:45 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having the same problem. I swapped out a knuckle with a used one, new caliper, new pads, new rotors. Same thing, so I was under warranty and assumed I may have another bad caliper. Did brakes, rotors, and pads a second time, same thing. I am out there working on it today. The outside of the caliper, side closest to the wheel, dives down and in towards the center of the hub, and the brake pads wear at an angle. It also causes my inner pad to wear faster. Eventually it dives so much that the screw on the retainer clip just barely scrapes the hub portion of the rotor. It actually warped my rotors which is why I am guessing it is caused by the caliper not being allowed to release.

I haven't figured it out, but I am thinking the caliper isn't being allowed to release the pressure inside, and I am replacing the rubber hoses up front to see if it resolves the issue. Problem is, I won't know it isn't fixed until I lose another set of pads and rotors.

I have read that the rubber hoses deteriorate over time and may break down. And actually introduce rubber pieces into the caliper itself. I am planning to open it up and see if there is rubber in there. Debating if I swap the seals myself (which I have) or go with rebuilt calipers again. Have a hard time thinking I have had three bad calipers in a row on the left front.

Last edited by dbilik; 10-29-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:26 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Can you post any pictures or its all bolted back together?

I'm curious I know your disk brakes are different than my 98 disk brakes but I'm Interested in this problem?

Quick Reply: front calipers wearing on steering knuckle