2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tips on removing and replacing front shocks on a 1999 2wd dakota

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Josh17
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on removing and replacing front shocks on a 1999 2wd dakota

1999 dakota 2wd 3.9 5 speed.

Well, got paid last friday and figured i would replace the front shocks on my truck as they are pretty damn rusty and i have had some front end noise lately. Well as luck would have it everything down there is rusted together :P I broke a bolt trying to remove it and figured i would stop at that before i break more things. My question is that since the shock is inside the spring, am i going to have to drop the lower control arm (i was thinking that it would just come out the top or something but im probably wrong) and besides soaking everything with PB blaster, would you guys have any tips for me ?

Edit: just noticed that my left front shock has started leaking.....when it rains it pours, i guess. haha

Last edited by Josh17; 11-03-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:02 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No need to drop the control arm. Just jack the truck up and support it with a jack stand on the frame then put your floor jack under the control arm and raise it up a little. Shock will come right out from underneath the control arm once you remove the lower bolts and upper nut. If the bolt breaks just drill it out and use a new bolt and nut. Aero Kroil is the best penetrant I have used. PB Blaster is good too. If you have time spray it a couple of times in the evening and let it soak overnight.

Jimmy

Old 11-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Josh17
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply ! I'm glad its just as straight forward as i thought , now i Just have to get the new bolts and nuts (the new shocks only came with new bushings and the new top nut :P) and ask one of the steering and suspension teachers here at UNOH if i can bring my truck in tomorrow or Wednesday and do it in the shop there where they have a lift....and tools so i don't have to use my roommates.

Quick Reply: Tips on removing and replacing front shocks on a 1999 2wd dakota