2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cranking Torsion Keys?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 01:50 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL i used to run Efans.. but i went back to the clutch fan to a haul my boat. I kinda scrapped the whole efan stuff all together. Still got a newer model jeep/durango fan shroud/assembly in a box im not using lol

Old 11-07-2014, 09:28 AM
carkeese
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So now I'm thinking about doing a rough country block lift in the back and then finding some sort of leveling kit for the front instead of cranking the torsion bars at all. But would the leveling kit stop me from being able to put a body lift on also?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:48 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

If you want to level the truck crank the torsion keys.. that's what adjusts the front end.. cranking them didnt seem to change anything or increase wear tha ti can see.. my front end already sorta needing some TLC soon is cranked for almost 2 years now with 0 problems increased. I did get an alignment but that was because i already needed one.

You should have your alignmetn checked anyways every few years most places offer it free.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:28 PM
carkeese

If i didnt get an alignment would it be problematic? only asking because i just got new tires and just paid for an alignment.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:12 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Honestly anyone would probally say if you mess with the front end rather its changing ball joint; or adjusting ride height to check alignment.

When you crank it your adjusting the geo of the front end components.. youll throw camber out like a degree or half a degree.. when i did mine it was not much.. but i was between alignmetns anyways. Most dont have an issue but most tell you to get it checked.

HOpefully you got the lifetime alignment just take it back adn ask them to recheck it... tell them it feels like something changed or w/e they should take care of you..

Always get pay the little more nad get lifetime saves you tons of money in the long run.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:05 PM
TheNewbie
Professional

Yeah, 2-3 inches of torsion crank will NOT be a good experience in the long run. Some people say that 2" is the max, but I did mine 1.5" and blew through 2 passenger side CV axles in a year and ball joints were about gone when I got rid of it.

A 3" body lift is honestly the only affordable way to get 3" of lift out of a dakota.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:29 PM
carkeese

I planned on doing a 3 inch body lift on top of all this. But if I do 3 inch suspension in the back and only crank the torsion bars like an inch can I do a 2 inch leveling kit in the front to even it up? Sorry I feel like Im repeating myself a lot.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:13 PM
TheNewbie
Professional

Originally Posted by carkeese
But if I do 3 inch suspension in the back and only crank the torsion bars like an inch can I do a 2 inch leveling kit in the front to even it up? Sorry I feel like Im repeating myself a lot.
I think you might need to do some more research. Where are you seeing a 2" leveling kit that will work on the front end of your 4x4 Dakota? The only way to lift the front is to crank the torsion bars or actually completely remove the entire front end and do a custom welding and fabrication job to install a solid front axle (as in take the entire axle assembly out of another vehicle and force it to work in the Dakota). This would require you to fabricate a way for the steering, spring perches and shackle mounts, shocks, brake lines and all of that other related stuff to work.

There is no such thing as a front spring spacer if you don't have front springs. I think that's why you feel like you're repeating yourself over and over. What you are looking for does not exist for your truck. You do not have springs up front at all. You have torsion bars. There is no spacer that will help, and the new keys are really not worth it. If you want a small lift just do a 1.5" block lift in the rear (or shackle lift) and crank the front 1" to 1.5". If you want more then the only body lift available on the market is a 3" kit. Those are your options.

Sure... they make a 3" block lift for the rear, but there is no way to make the front match that amount of lift without MAJOR custom fabrication. Some people are OK with cranking up to 2" but I have had bad luck with just 1.5" of torsion crank.

Originally Posted by carkeese
I planned on doing a 3 inch body lift on top of all this.
If you're looking for 6" of total lift you are probably looking into lifting the wrong vehicle. If you have to ask these kinds of question you clearly are not ready to custom fabricate you own suspension setup. But search for SAS or solid axle swap. It might give you what you're looking for.

Last edited by TheNewbie; 11-08-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:07 PM
jmasselli22
Rookie

i cranked the stock keys and put 2in blocks in the back. looks just as high as a 3in body lift

Old 11-19-2014, 10:11 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

in 1969 my dad and i put a chrysler 392 hemi in 1959 plymouth. and cranked the Torsion bar bolt to bottoming out. and the shock bushing would get knocked out. just something to think about.

Quick Reply: Cranking Torsion Keys?