2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Want to hook up aftermarket water temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:45 AM
Dodgerebel93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to hook up aftermarket water temp gauge

Then stock one is messed up. I wanna hook up a aftermarket gauge ( like sunpro , summit ext..) anyone kno exactly what kinda gauge I would need? Really need help with this . Thanks

Old 03-09-2015, 07:10 AM
archemedes74
Veteran

get the gauge, it comes with a sending unit you screw into a place in the engine (that's the hardest part honestly, and location depends on what engine you have) don't use the factory sending unit, if you get an electrical one (mechanical is cheaper, and many swear more accurate)

Old 03-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Junior93

Originally Posted by archemedes74
get the gauge, it comes with a sending unit you screw into a place in the engine (that's the hardest part honestly, and location depends on what engine you have) don't use the factory sending unit, if you get an electrical one (mechanical is cheaper, and many swear more accurate)
I have the 3.7 liter n which gauge would u recommend? N can u use the factory sending u it with a mechanical? But I figured beein that new I'd have to have an electrical one

Old 03-09-2015, 08:00 AM
archemedes74
Veteran

never ever use factory sending unit for anything, they just aren't accurate enough, you can use mechanical (comes with a thermocouple installed in it that screws into a hole in the block) or electrical if you want a smaller wire to fish (the only real difference is the size of what comes into the cab as far as install). I use auto meter and would get whichever one looks best and is cheaper. As for install I am not familiar enough with that engine to tell you where to put the sender

Old 03-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Junior93

Originally Posted by archemedes74
never ever use factory sending unit for anything, they just aren't accurate enough, you can use mechanical (comes with a thermocouple installed in it that screws into a hole in the block) or electrical if you want a smaller wire to fish (the only real difference is the size of what comes into the cab as far as install). I use auto meter and would get whichever one looks best and is cheaper. As for install I am not familiar enough with that engine to tell you where to put the sender
Yea I don't either.. Yea I just need something so I kno I'm not running hot or anything.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:47 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

There IS a cheat you can use - being 2nd gen, it's OBDII. You can use a competent OBDII reader to monitor engine temp.

What I did on my Malibu when I owned it was, I had a ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII module, and paired it with Torque (there's a free version, but the paid version was like $5 ) on my Android phone.

That's quick, easy, and allows you to monitor almost any data stream within the ECU.

(Not saying to NOT get a mechanical gauge - just tossing out an alternative.)

Now that THAT'S said - there's pure de heck crap gauges, and good gauges. Big hint: The good ones? Cost more. I'd check what Summit and Jegs has for sale, and avoid anything from Wally World or Harbor Freight *grins*

RwP

Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

only problem is the factory sender is garbage, and accurate within about 15% (never ever trust a factory sender for anything on anything, there's a reason every service manual says confirm with external gauge and sender) for brands I like auto meter, and the bosch ones advance has seem pretty good (bought a couple for diagnostics) and they are cheap. There should be a pipe plug into a coolant passage somewhere to tap into, if I had one of those engines here I could find a good spot for it

Old 03-10-2015, 07:33 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The main problem with most gauge senders is that the ground is very variable, so most ECT sensors for ECUs are two-wire. And they actually are pretty accurate.

Gauge sending units? 15% is probably being nice ... my Cougar would peg "COLD" when you could hear the water boiling in the radiator!

RwP

Old 03-16-2015, 07:34 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I'm thinking about doing the same to my transmission. Anyone monitoring ATF temps?

Quick Reply: Want to hook up aftermarket water temp gauge