2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Towing and overdrive question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Daves69
I never had an OD issue when dragging my 3000 pound boat and trailer behind my '02 Durango 4.7 SLT for 5 years. My previous 1700 pound boat towed like nothing was back there. It did not have the factory tow package. You should have no problem with an empty trailer at all.
Now the return will be a little different!

The thing is though... how do you know you are not overheating your tranny, unless you've got a gauge on it? If overdrive is engaged with a heavy load, aren't temps raised whether or not it's hunting gears? (I got you on towing the empty trailer).

Old 03-14-2015, 10:56 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
The thing is though... how do you know you are not overheating your tranny, unless you've got a gauge on it? If overdrive is engaged with a heavy load, aren't temps raised whether or not it's hunting gears? (I got you on towing the empty trailer).
I didn't "know" for sure. Then too, I had no physical signs of overheating of the trans at all. Shifting was fine and it wasn't jumping in and out on me when towing. Trans fluid never had any different odor to it.
The fluid and filter were serviced twice by the local Chrysler Dealer over my 12 years of ownership. They indicated no adjustments were needed and everything was as expected on both occasions. The only reason I don't have this vehicle today is a French tourist totaled it for me in Chi!
Even though I had no issues doesn't mean they weren't on the horizon. I'm not recommending how to tow, just offering what I experienced with my vehicle.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

So I got it all done on Saturday. Drove to Lynchburg, VA... picked up the car and turned right back around for the trip home.

All in all, it was smooth experience. I have newfound admiration for the little 4.7L. It revved quietly with OD off and towed it's heart out. It also didn't burn any oil for the trip, despite higher revs for sixteen hours or so. Remember the miles... 257K now, on this thing. The power was quite sufficient for towing the heavy *** trailer with the car on top of it, luggage and a few passengers. As you can see, the back sank quite low with the weight. That is a factory heavy duty tow package, so you guys might want to consider that (how it will rub if you tow heavy) when going to larger wheels, or dropping.

The two axle trailer was also quite stable. I could have done 80 mph easily, if I was dumb enough. The brake controller was a bit jittery, but did it's job well enough and kept me out of trouble. All in all, a good experience, although I wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-16-2015 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (09-12-2021)
Old 03-17-2015, 08:13 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have too much tongue weight you might try backing the car onto your trailer.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by Daves69
If you have too much tongue weight you might try backing the car onto your trailer.

I was told that's a bad idea as it causes it to sway. I did back it up as much as could though.

Quick Reply: Towing and overdrive question